bmw 525 tds 1994 injector light and glow plug light lit - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:00 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
pockets666 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
bmw 525 tds 1994 injector light and glow plug light lit

Hi anyone help me i have a 1994 bmw 525 tds few days ago got two warning lights on the dash,injector light and glow plug light.Now these are lit all the time car wont start so the aa came out and said it could be an immobilizer fault,anyway he ran me a wire from the fuse box to the fuel pump and it started but it only works in limp home mode could anyone please help me to fix this problem cheers craig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:40 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
A look at general electrical and the glow plugs may be a good place to start. How does it run after warming up?

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 12:49 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark View Post
A look at general electrical and the glow plugs may be a good place to start. How does it run after warming up?
car runs fine but only with wire from fuse box to fuel pump remove wire and car stops running and lights on dash are back on but it only runs in limp home mode with wire on
#4 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
OMFG another one!?

witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I think that's a fairly strong sign of a circuit fault. I imagine the fuse box has been checked.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
I think that's a fairly strong sign of a circuit fault. I imagine the fuse box has been checked.
ye checked all fuses all fine
#6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:26 PM
OMFG another one!?

As a first guess, I think you may be on the hunt for a bad ground (earth).

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
As a first guess, I think you may be on the hunt for a bad ground (earth).
all ready checked the ones i can see, but there is bound to be loads hidden away will get hunting cheers for the info
#8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Neutral Member

MADDOUG is on a distinguished road
Check the battery for a voltage reading circa 12.6 volts is a good fully charged battery.

Next get the battery a drop test to check its giving enough amps,you seem to have two faults so low system voltage may be to blame.

The glow plug relay powers the lift pump when the glow plugs are on.It also powers the lift pump in normal running after it receives a live signal from the alternator once the engine is running,hence the bad hot starts because no lift pump until engines running.

So from the above you can see the relay has two sides or functions to it,now running a live to the lift pump without first disconnecting the original live wire to it will fire the glow plugs,not sure if they stay on or just run the normal cycle but they will come on.

It may be that the glow plug relay does other functions and sends power to engine sensors,I am not sure of this but if it does this may explain the injector warning light coming on and the limp home mode.

I would suspect that the glow plug relay is not getting a live signal (ignition barrel ?) or it has packed up ? and if when you put a live to the lift pump (if the original feed is still connected) that this maybe powers the relay up and causes the ecu to light the warning lamp ?.

Other scenarios are water in the ecu compartment,check for a short on any wiring in the engine compartment or loose connections,and esp boot/tailgate areas that may cause the whole system to short out.

There is not much in the way of info on the net concerning these Bmw tds's so have a look on some Land river forums as the discovery p38 shares the bmw engine and you amy pick up a few pointers there.But I would presume the glow plug relay has other functions and is not supplying power elsewhere to something and the ecu not receiving a signal flags the injector light and goes limp mode.The glow plug light staying on points to a problem with it.

I have no idea where the glow plug relay is on these cars ?,oh check the engine earth lead as well (drivers side front of engine level with sump pan).
#9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOUG View Post
Check the battery for a voltage reading circa 12.6 volts is a good fully charged battery.

Next get the battery a drop test to check its giving enough amps,you seem to have two faults so low system voltage may be to blame.

The glow plug relay powers the lift pump when the glow plugs are on.It also powers the lift pump in normal running after it receives a live signal from the alternator once the engine is running,hence the bad hot starts because no lift pump until engines running.

So from the above you can see the relay has two sides or functions to it,now running a live to the lift pump without first disconnecting the original live wire to it will fire the glow plugs,not sure if they stay on or just run the normal cycle but they will come on.

It may be that the glow plug relay does other functions and sends power to engine sensors,I am not sure of this but if it does this may explain the injector warning light coming on and the limp home mode.

I would suspect that the glow plug relay is not getting a live signal (ignition barrel ?) or it has packed up ? and if when you put a live to the lift pump (if the original feed is still connected) that this maybe powers the relay up and causes the ecu to light the warning lamp ?.

Other scenarios are water in the ecu compartment,check for a short on any wiring in the engine compartment or loose connections,and esp boot/tailgate areas that may cause the whole system to short out.

There is not much in the way of info on the net concerning these Bmw tds's so have a look on some Land river forums as the discovery p38 shares the bmw engine and you amy pick up a few pointers there.But I would presume the glow plug relay has other functions and is not supplying power elsewhere to something and the ecu not receiving a signal flags the injector light and goes limp mode.The glow plug light staying on points to a problem with it.

I have no idea where the glow plug relay is on these cars ?,oh check the engine earth lead as well (drivers side front of engine level with sump pan).
cheers for that info mate as i am still struggling to find the fault.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
n00b

motobiz is on a distinguished road
Hi ive had the same problem with my diesel renault van aa came out 4 times said they had no idea neither did auto electrician i thought it was going to cost the earth, took it to renault pluged it into the computer it was a tdc sensor £120 plus £70 fitting now its perfect and my 528i had the same problem but no warning lights and that was the tdc sensor aswell and only cost about £45 but i fitted it myself
#11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 05:45 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Managed to sort it yesterday it turned out to be a relay (fuel pump relay i believe) it was located where the main computer modules are a small square white or creamy color relay 8 quid off ebay.Thanks for everyones help cheers craig.Part number 12631729004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)