Bmw 1990 525i E34 stereo harness - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 06:57 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
loping is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Bmw 1990 525i E34 stereo harness

well ive looked around and posted on many places and i still haven't been able to find a stock stereo harness for a BMW 1990 525i. The back story is that my brother gave me a stereo and it had a usb cable to where i could hook it up so being me waiting three months with no money and getting desperate i took it to my own so i cut it and i would really like to know how i could fix my stereo it cracks a lot. in the speakers. and i would also like to know if anyone has a stock wiring harass that they wouldn't mind selling me. And if someone posts on this ill put more info just request thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If you still have the stock speakers, they are pushing 20 years old, I'd start there. If not, you probably have some wires crossed, letting it play, through the stock amp, but not to its fullest potential. As far as finding the stock harness, I wouldnt. You're this far in, I'd buy about 80 feet of 18-16ga, speaker wire and just run new wires to all four corners, bypassing the stock 20 year old amp and wiring. You can do this easily enough by running four strands to the trunk at the amp, find the 8-10 (depending on which stock system you have) speaker wires and hook them up there. It sounds worse than it is. Get the wires from the front to the rear and snap a picture of the amp, and we can go from there. to werkz...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:25 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Do you think i could add you to msn or gmail or something? something more fast pasted? ha
#4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 07:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well this is a picture of my amp
#5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
One side or the other of your amps wiring has 10 pair of twisted pairs. Each pair will be one speaker. You can tie together like the drivers kickpanel/drivers dash/drivers door tweeter together to the front left of your deck. I chose not to use the drivers dash, and just used two speakers per channel. You need two people to test, one to test and one to listen in the cab, but use a AA battery and go across each pair of wires to determine which speaker is which. Sorry, I dont have MSN/Gmail installed on this computer.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 11:23 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Im kinda confused on what you just said lol.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 AM
da_administrator

Sorry, lol. The "test" I am speaking of, is by using the battery, and touching the positive side of the battery to one wire and the negative to the other (in the twisted pair). What this will do is make a small audible click in one speaker. This will let you know which wire goes to each speaker. Dont hold it on there very long at all (click, release at least one wire), as it'll damage the speakers after a little bit. You will do this ten times to find all 10 speakers.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 11:13 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
geezis lol. Ok well i have a few notes from random sites that i compiled. haha

Such as

* Blue Power Antenna
Orange Illumination
Black Chassis Ground
Red 12 Volt Switched Power
Yellow 12 Volt Constant Power
Green Left Rear Speaker Positive
Green/Black Left Rear Speaker Negative
Violet Right Rear Speaker Positive
Violet/Black Right Rear Speaker Negative
White Left Front Speaker Positive
White/Black Left Front Speaker Negative
Gray Right Front Speaker Positive
Gray/Black Right Front Speaker Negative*

And also

* 1994 BMW 525i Car Stereo Radio Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Constant 12V+ Wire: Purple
Car Radio Switched 12V+ Wire: Brown
Car Radio Ground Wire: Chassis
Car Radio Illumination Wire: N/A
Car Radio Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Radio Antenna Trigger: N/A
Car Radio Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Front Speakers Size: 5 1/4″
Front Speakers Location: Kick Panels
Left Front Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Red
Left Front Speaker Wire (-): Yellow/Brown
Right Front Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Red
Right Front Speaker Wire (-): Blue/Brown
Rear Speakers Size: 5 1/4″
Rear Speakers Location: Rear Deck
Left Rear Speaker Wire (+): Yellow/Blue
Left Rear Speaker Wire (-): Yellow/Gray
Right Rear Speaker Wire (+): Blue/Purple
Right Rear Speaker Wire (-): Blue/Gray *
#9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 03:38 PM
da_administrator

The top list is most aftermarket stereos, they have pretty much made that a standard color code. The bottom list sounds right (its been 8-9 years since I did mine).

I found this earlier myself, it'll help you with power/ground/illumination/memory but the "speaker" leads are extreme low level, because you have an amplifier, so they wont do you any good for the speakers:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OlderBMWradiodiagramcopy.jpg
Views:	2056
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	28814  

#10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
yep used that also lol.
#11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:10 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Eirther im the only stupid mother fucker that did this to his car. or someone knows what to do lol..
#12 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:26 AM
da_administrator

So, where are you at? Have you ran the 4 new speaker wires to the trunk yet?

#13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:57 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
why would i do that. IT's my deck. and i cant buy a new deck right now i had to get glasses so i could see better at nite. ill just deal with it. for right now. saying i do run the speaker wire. how do i run it to the back? and you say 4 speaker wire how am i going to get all 10 of the speakers to work? or am i trying to do that at all?
#14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull View Post
If you still have the stock speakers, they are pushing 20 years old, I'd start there. If not, you probably have some wires crossed, letting it play, through the stock amp, but not to its fullest potential. As far as finding the stock harness, I wouldnt. You're this far in, I'd buy about 80 feet of 18-16ga, speaker wire and just run new wires to all four corners, bypassing the stock 20 year old amp and wiring. You can do this easily enough by running four strands to the trunk at the amp, find the 8-10 (depending on which stock system you have) speaker wires and hook them up there. It sounds worse than it is. Get the wires from the front to the rear and snap a picture of the amp, and we can go from there. to werkz...
well i just got back from walmart lol and i was going to get the speaker wire but im a derka derka lol. haha but i still dont understand what doing this willl matter. haha
#15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 PM
da_administrator

This is the proper way to bypass the factory amplifier and hook up an aftermarket deck in most late 80's-mid 90's bimmers with a factory amp. There are other ways to do it, but this is the best way I've found. It takes just a little bit of work, but once its done, you wont have to worry about it again. Its a quick Paint picture, but maybe this will help. 1st picture is stock, the second one is what you will end up with after running the four strands of speaker wire and cutting the wires from the stock amp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock amp config.JPG
Views:	3720
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	28816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished wiring.JPG
Views:	3250
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	28817  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)