Bluetooth Issues - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SanDiegoBMW is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Bluetooth Issues

This pertains to a 2008 528i.

I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 and a Google G1 phone. Both work great in the car...sometimes. Other times they simply do not connect. Other times they connect, I can make a call or two and then they no longer work properly. When they are working, contact lists load up and voice commands work flawlessly.

The BMW service department tells me that my bluetooth system tests "good" and that it is hit or miss getting the bluetooth to work with a cell phone.

BMW North America customer relations brought me to a web page that shows, for T-Mobile, only 5 old phones with certain firmware versions are guaranteed to work (fyi...it is the same five phones for the 2011 models, too!).

I am thinking if a phone works at all, it should work all the time...not intermittently.

Any ideas on what I could do to have this problem corrected? Maybe a good 3rd party bluetooth replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
New news....changing the name of my phone seems to have (at least for the moment) allowed my phone to function properly over a long period of time. At least for two days now...no disconnects...it connects everytime I start the car...phonebook loads fine...and voice commands work.

If this continues to solve the problem for another couple of weeks, I will advise.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 05:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
OK...the saga continues. I have changed the phone name a couple of times now. The problem persists. Quick list of the variety of symptoms:

1. Phone hooks up great, phone list in, voice commands work, make a call and then I am disconnected immediately upon the person answering. Screen with Go To Settings Menu comes up. Blue light on phone still blinking. Car bluetooth becomes unresponsive.

2. Phone hooks up great, phone list in, voice commands work, make a call and then I am disconnected during the converstaion. Screen with Go To Settings Menu comes up. Blue light on phone still blinking. Car bluetooth becomes unresponsive.

3. Phone hooks up great, phone list in, voice commands work, make a call and then I am disconnected during the converstaion. Screen with Trying to Find Paried Phones comes up and then it may or may not reconnect to the call in progress. If it does nto reconnect, the car bluetooth becomes unresponsive.

4. Get into the car start it up and the blue light on the phone blinks but it never completely connects to the car. No address book. No voice commands. But the phone still thinks it is connected. Car bluetooth is unresponsive.

I brought this isuees up twice to one dealer. They show the bluetooth unit working fine.

I brought the issue up to BMW North America (spoke to Edward) and was basically told that if I wasn't using one of the phones with one the software versions listed on tested phone list, they really were not interested in trying to resolve the problem. I did have the same issues with one of the phones on their list, but is was software version 1.6 vs 1.5...sorry charlie...no support.

I am going to a second dealer next week. Interestingly, they stock replacements.

We'll see how it goes. I'll post the progress as I have info.

FYI...a friend has the same year and series car and has had no issues using the bluetooth with the same phone that I have and at least one other that is not on "the list".

Last edited by SanDiegoBMW; 07-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM
n00b

JoeScro is on a distinguished road
My phone had the same issue with my Acura 08 and seemed my Bluetooth module broke somewhere in the computer motherboard. Acura replaced my Bluetooth system and I haven't had any issues. Although your car is a BMW but its still Bluetooth system. One thing I did learn is that if your phone does any sort of updates or changes to a new version then Bluetooth cant not synchronize with your phone anymore. On the older Bluetooth & phones its better not to update your phone so it will be compatible your Bluetooth. My best suggestion is to buy yourself the ear plug or get BMW to replace your Bluetooth module.
Goodluck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)