I. On your BMW, do this first:
1. Turn key to ignition position 2.
2. Select the Information/Service Menu from iDrive (press the Menu button and push down on the iDrive controller).
3. Select "Communication Settings".
4. Select the Bluetooth submenu; there should be two choices, one to enable/disable Bluetooth and the other to Select Bluetooth Devices. First enable Bluetooth then go to the Select Bluetooth Devices submenu (NOTE: The menu titles may be different; I'm writing this from memory while on a business trip.)
5. You should now see a message on iDrive as follows:
Bluetooth Discoverable in this Menu
6. The car is now searching for Bluetooth devices.
II. On your V551, do the following:
1. Locate the Bluetooth setup menu as follows:
Go to the "Settings" Menu, then to the "Connection" submenu, then
choose "Bluetooth Link" then choose the "Setup" menu item (item 3),
then turn the bluetooth power on (subitem 2), then choose "Find Me"
2. Now your V551 can be discovered by your BMW. Wait a few seconds for the car to find your phone. Carefully observe the iDrive screen AND the phone's display for further instructions.
III. Car and Phone
1. Either the phone or the car will ask for a Passkey. Enter any number and remember that number. If the car asked for the number, the phone will ask you to enter that same number, and vice-versa. Once you have entered the passkey on both devices, they are "paired" and you are just about done.
2. The car and the phone will ask you to verify that you want to pair each other. Select yes on both devices.
1. Once you have replied to all prompts and messages on both the car and the phone, turn the car's key to the full off position. Wait a couple of second and turn the ignition back to position 2.
2. Press the car's Menu button and slide the iDrive controller forwards to choose "Communications". Make sure the V551 phone is on. Wait a few moments. The car and phone will connect and your address book will transfer to iDrive.
That's it. If you have any problems, let me know or better yet, contact your BMW dealer who can give you a printed procedure.