Bluetooth Availability - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 10:35 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
JDogg016 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I just bought a new 530i back in January. I was wondering what the availability is on the bluetooth kit for my car as my company just gave me a Motorola v600 phone. No dealer seems to be able to give me a straight answer on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:24 PM
n00b

wnrussell is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JDogg016@Jun 10 2004, 08:35 AM
I just bought a new 530i back in January. I was wondering what the availability is on the bluetooth kit for my car as my company just gave me a Motorola v600 phone. No dealer seems to be able to give me a straight answer on this one.
[snapback]126851[/snapback]
Bluetooth is now available for all E39's and MY 2004, March production and forward...

This Bodes Well for Future Improvements to BMW Bluetooth Technology

BMW ANNOUNCES BLUETOOTH AVAILABILITY FOR THE 2005 MODEL YEAR

October 28th, 2004, Woodcliff Lake, NJ Today BMW offered its second major in-car communication/entertainment initiative for the 2005 model year. Following its announcement about the availability of Sirius satellite radio as a factory-installed option, BMW announced the availability of Bluetooth for nearly all 2005 model BMWs, providing a new standard of convenience for in-car hands-free calling.

What is Bluetooth?
Bluetooth provides a wireless connection between select compatible cell phones and the vehicle for hands-free calling. With a compatible Bluetooth cell phone drivers can place calls, answer calls and select numbers from the phonebook by simply using the multi-function steering wheel or dashboard controls.

How does it work?
Bluetooth equipped vehicles are shipped fully activated, requiring no further activation or installation. All that is required is a compatible Bluetooth phone. The owner must complete an initial pairing procedure in order to create a private wireless connection between phone and vehicle. This is only required once, all subsequent connections occur automatically. Up to four pairings may be held in memory.

Which vehicles come with Bluetooth?
Bluetooth is standard equipment on the 2005 5 and 6 Series models as well as the M3 Convertible and X5 4.8is. It is included in all other vehicles equipped with BMW Assist or a Premium Package. It is not offered on the 7 Series, which comes standard with a fully integrated portable cell phone. Some early production 2005 model 3 Series cars are not equipped with Bluetooth. Consult a BMW center for specific availability.

Which phones are compatible?
In order to ensure a high degree of customer satisfaction BMW tests all available Bluetooth phones on the market. Only after a phone passes a variety of compatibility tests is it approved. Therefore not all available Bluetooth phones are compatible with BMWs Bluetooth option. BMW centers will have a complete list of all approved phones for every major cellular service provider.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 06:56 AM
n00b

cassidym is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JDogg016@Jun 10 2004, 08:35 AM
I just took delivery of a 2005 545 and it came Bluetooth equippes. Although I don't have a Bluetooth phone (yet), the salesman was able to form a partnership with my car when I picked it up.

I asked about Bluetooth when I ordered the car and no one at the dealership knew anything about it so I got my salesman to contact BMW of North America. They had the details. So you might try e-mailing them from the BMWNA Web site.
#4 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:47 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by cassidym+Nov 15 2004, 05:56 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cassidym @ Nov 15 2004, 05:56 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-JDogg016@Jun 10 2004, 08:35 AM
I just bought a new 530i back in January.* I was wondering what the availability is on the bluetooth kit for my car as my company just gave me a Motorola v600 phone.* No dealer seems to be able to give me a straight answer on this one.
I just took delivery of a 2005 545 and it came Bluetooth equippes. Although I don't have a Bluetooth phone (yet), the salesman was able to form a partnership with my car when I picked it up.

I asked about Bluetooth when I ordered the car and no one at the dealership knew anything about it so I got my salesman to contact BMW of North America. They had the details. So you might try e-mailing them from the BMWNA Web site.
[snapback]231166[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]
Here was a BMWUSA reply dated 11/13/2004:

Thank you for the reply. My apologies for the confusion. Bluetooth is now available for the 2004 model year 5 Series produced between March and August of 2004. Because this is a new development as of only last Monday, you may wish to contact the parts and service manager specifically. I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Karen Labatzky
Customer Relations and Services
Representative
#5 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:53 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

ksz is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for pointing this out. I contacted a rep at BMW of North America who confirmed the availability of Bluetooth for 2004 E60s produced on and after March. He also provided the BMW Bulletin ID that was recently made available (November 9 timeframe, I think): B841304. If your local BMW dealer is not yet up to speed on Bluetooth, have them look at this bulletin.

My car is currently being fitted with Bluetooth. I'll provide an update tomorrow.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 02:46 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

ksz is an unknown quantity at this point
It's been more than a day since the Bluetooth installation, but here's an update. Hopefully this information will be helpful to others.

A Bluetooth "retrofit" kit was installed (mostly software updates and perhaps a chip here or there), but my Motorola MPx220 cellular phone (running Microsoft's Windows Mobile 2003 operating system) does not interface smoothly. This is a very recent new phone and is not certified by BMW, but I was hoping that its Bluetooth implementation would be similar to the V600 which is certified.

The MPx220 pairs easily with the car, but the phonebook does not transfer, calls cannot be initiated from iDrive, and voice is not transferred from the car's microphone to the telephone. However, the other party's voice is played through the car's speakers.

Motorola has discontinued the V600, replacing it with the V551. A sales rep at Cingular helped me to pair the V551 successfully. Phonebook entries were transferred, the car automatically recognized the phone, etc. However, the car's microphone is still unable to transmit voice to the phone. This might be a problem with the car.

Question:

If you are successfully using a Bluetooth phone, what brand and model is it, and how well does it integrate with iDrive? Any problems speaking into the car's microphone?
#7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 04:29 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
I just paired a Sony Ericson T-Mobile phone to a 325xi yesterday, calls were clear incoming and no problems were reported on how they could hear me...i-Drive integration was fine, no problems in either of the noted areas.

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 07:58 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Outside the wonderful world of BMW, Bluetooth does support both the Hands free and Dialup networking which I am sure it works fine in the Bimmer. Per 325is baby's reply can the BMW Bluetooth handle OBEX file transfer? If not, does it support a different protocol?

regards
Bill
#9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 09:11 PM
n00b

Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Nov 18 2004, 06:58 PM
Outside the wonderful world of BMW, Bluetooth does support both the Hands free and Dialup networking which I am sure it works fine in the Bimmer. Per 325is baby's reply can the BMW Bluetooth handle OBEX file transfer? If not, does it support a different protocol?

regards
Bill
[snapback]233450[/snapback]
The BMW requires OBEX. Look up your phone here to see if it has that profile http://qualweb.bluetooth.org/Template2.cfm...t=QualifiedDate
#10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 07:55 PM
n00b

bigsup is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Motorola V505 purshcase from AT &T and it took me less than 20 minutes to do it. everything works real well. THe phone book and voice dial work like a charm. The only problem is deleting entires from the car display is a liitle bit of work. The software update is the key to make the whole thing work. After the software upgrade, the features work real well. I even paired my Palm Tungsten to the car.
Good luck.
Quote:
Originally posted by ksz@Nov 18 2004, 01:46 PM
It's been more than a day since the Bluetooth installation, but here's an update. Hopefully this information will be helpful to others.

A Bluetooth "retrofit" kit was installed (mostly software updates and perhaps a chip here or there), but my Motorola MPx220 cellular phone (running Microsoft's Windows Mobile 2003 operating system) does not interface smoothly. This is a very recent new phone and is not certified by BMW, but I was hoping that its Bluetooth implementation would be similar to the V600 which is certified.

The MPx220 pairs easily with the car, but the phonebook does not transfer, calls cannot be initiated from iDrive, and voice is not transferred from the car's microphone to the telephone. However, the other party's voice is played through the car's speakers.

Motorola has discontinued the V600, replacing it with the V551. A sales rep at Cingular helped me to pair the V551 successfully. Phonebook entries were transferred, the car automatically recognized the phone, etc. However, the car's microphone is still unable to transmit voice to the phone. This might be a problem with the car.

Question:

If you are successfully using a Bluetooth phone, what brand and model is it, and how well does it integrate with iDrive? Any problems speaking into the car's microphone?
[snapback]233166[/snapback]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)