Bluetooth - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:43 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tsandas is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
B) Finally today I was able to order my 545I with Head up display.

The dealer told me that the Bluetooth option was not yet Available but it can be fitted very easy with a kit at the dealer when it becomes available.

Does anyone know about this?

Can I get any phone with the car now? And then can it be upgraded to bluetooth when it becomes available?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member

asohel is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not sure about the 5 series but I would really love to get that phone. From what I hear...Bluetooth is worth it! Since we want a 745Li....we are waiting for the Bluetooth to come in the vehicle. But now that we've heard of the new M5....we think we'll take that with Bluetooth! BTW, anyone know what the best Bluetooth Phone is, currently?
Thanks!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:35 AM
ksz
1st Gear Member

ksz is an unknown quantity at this point
A Bluetooth phone will require a simple adapter for the analog connection, I believe. In other words, only data and commands are transmitted over Bluetooth; voice (analog sound) requires a cable.

There are Bluetooth wireless headphones available today for cell phones, which means that the current Bluetooth standard has enough bandwidth to transmit digitized voice at some reasonable sampling rate. I certainly hope the article I read 3 months ago was based on old specifications and that BMW provides an all-Bluetooth connection. Remains to be seen.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 11:28 PM
n00b

Desert530 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

Hello Guys,
I am really glad to hear that n00bie is getting a new 545. That is ammazing, I just picked up my new 530i and I love it. It is a sweet drive and I think powerful enough, that makes me wonder how the 545 will preform. I guess it would have a take off button.
Anyway, regarding bluetooth. It did come fitted in my car, though I was not able to get it to work yet. I was under the impression that it should work with any bluetooth enables cell phone since "Bluetooth" is a standard. Well, I found some information about this but nothing is helping me yet. I have been trying to connect my new Sonny Ericsson T630 but no luck. I have heard that the T610 worked, and the dealer here (Saudi Arabia) tells me that only Simens S55 would work. But I am not convinced yet, I have read and heard that other phones work and you don't even need to get rid of your built in BMW phone that comes with the car (Motorola). If any of you have any advice please let me know i'm working hard on this.
Please go to the following link for Bluetooth information.
http://www.mdload.com/bluetooth/

Can someone also explain to me what E28, E34, and E60 mean, i'm new to BMW.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

The E numbers refer to design revisions. The current 2004 5-series is E60, the previous 5-series (1997-2003) was the E39, etc. I don't know how these numbers are assigned. However, they're a convenient way to refer to a particular design.

Bluetooth has been delayed in the US to September, but I'm confident it will be a dealer-installable option.

Congrats on the 530i. You know, the more I look at Chris Bangle's designs (he's the BMW chief stylist) the more I like them. It's like (red) wine...at first you don't like it, but the more you taste it, the more it grows on you...and one day you realize wow, this is just great! I have parked my silver E39 530i next to a silver E60 530i and found the E39 to be "primitive" in comparison, although it is still a lot better IMHO than its competitors.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 06:44 AM
n00b

Thank you for the clarifying that for me.
There must be a reason why they have delayed the Bluetooth on the E60 in the States, I am sure it goes under different regulations as mentioned in the manual.
I currently in Saudi Arabia and the cars they bring to the Gulf region have different specs than the ones you buy in Europe and the States, I guess when you live in a place where temperatures in the summer reach up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit then you must build a car differently and that was the main reason why I sold the car I had in the US. I thought it wouldn't handle the heat.

Back to our Subject of Bluetooth used , I was just contacted by the dealership here to come in, they claim they were successful in adding the Sony Ericsson T610. They want to try pairing my phone with the car, I will keep you updated on that.
Another thing that I noticed in the E60 is that the glass antenna isn't doing a great job, I was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee here before buying the E60 and I never had problems with my favorite radio stations. It is just that I don't get the crisp clear quality I used to get in the Jeep. Note that this problem only occurs with Radio Stations that are located in near by areas out of town. As for local stations I have no problem with that. The guys in the dealership told me that it could be a software upgrade or something. I would have to wait a see, but if anyone knows of a way to improve that please let me know. I used to think that the Shark Fin on top is the problem, but apparently it is a glass antenna car.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 06:22 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

Desert530,

I'll be adding the Bluetooth option once it becomes available here. The only attachment is an adapter that physically connects the phone to the car's shark-fin antenna and recharges the battery. Can't do those things over bluetooth! However, neither is actually required from what I understand, but attaching to the shark-fin is highly/extremely recommended by BMW -- I wonder why?

Anyway, please share your experience with the T610.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 07:36 AM
n00b

GarryF is an unknown quantity at this point
Have a read of the thread here.
http://e60.doit.wisc.edu/forums/index.php?showtopic=387

Some things to note are some phones work better than others and some of the newest phones will not work at all.

I would say the main 2 phones to choose from are the 6310i and the T610. I ended up purchasing the T610 and would recommend it.

There is a bmw procedure for mating the phone to the car, nothing that complicated, messing with pin numbers etc. Once this is done the phone database will sync with the car and appear if you select a to z. It also lists a top 8 and you can dial numbers manually by rolling the wheel left and right. The system will work happily with the phone in your pocket and in the UK I believe that the snap in adaptor is available for the T610 but haven't seen one yet.

My new car is actually sitting in the dealer and I don't get it until march but for the 10 minutes I played with the bluetooth I was impressed.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 12:09 PM
n00b

jcpowers03 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 530i that was delivered at the beginning of November. When the dealer was giving me the overview of the car, we ran across a bluetooth card in the instruction manual packet. This card contained a bluetooth id number. The dealer was very confused by this and said that no cars in the U.S. were supposed to be coming with Bluetooth at this time. Since I do not have a phone that works with bluetooth, I don't know whether it actually works or not. Anyone know anything about this? I'm now looking at getting a new phone and am wondering whether a bluetooth phone will work with my car.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 05:53 PM
n00b

Ok guys,
I guess I got it all figured out about BlueTooth (almost).
Here is my case again, our dealership here in Saudi Arabia brings the BMW 530 with two different types of options: 1) what they call Full Specs 2) lower specs or basic
I have the full specs E60. One of the differences between the full and the basic is that the full comes with the BMW professional phone ( Built under arm rest, with a base. Handset is wireless and communicates with the car via Bluetooth. Handset range is 25 – 30 meters according to the manual). The SIM card (chip) goes into the base and not the handset itself. The base is connected with the system (iDrive) as well.
I have been told that the Bluetooth antenna is somewhere within the dashboard (this is not important now)
The Basic specs BMW 530 does not come with the professional BMW phone. But it does have the Bluetooth antenna within. We were successful to pair the following devices:
Sony Ericsson T610
Sony Ericsson T630
Siemens S55 (which has a cradle for BMW, I guess only used for charging).
Sony Ericsson P800
So basically some of the information that was posted in here is correct http://www.mdload.com/bluetooth/
If you have a phone that has Bluetooth with a “HeadSet Profile” just like mentioned in the link above, then you should have no problem. Note that if have already paired you device with an ear piece via Bluetooth, then you will have to delete that ear piece device from the list of devices on your cell phone in order for the pairing with BMW to work properly. Most people who have previously used the ear piece had to delete it in order to pair with BMW.
Here is my problem to you. Since my car comes with Professional BMW built in phone where the SIM card gets inserted in the base, whenever I pair a device with my car it keeps asking me to insert SIM card and I cannot see or use my device with the car at all. Apparently the BMW phone takes higher precedence over any Bluetooth device and therefore you cannot use it. Turning off the phone from the handset would not disable the phone, it still would ask me to insert the SIM card whenever I go to “Communications”. So basically I need to disable to my built in phone in order for my Bluetooth device to work with my car. Does anyone know how to do that.

As for the person who asked about the steps, it goes as follows:
1) when you are in the main i-Drive menu, click the control button in the center to get in the “i” menu.
2) The last option in the menu should be “Communication Interface”, choose it.
3) Chooser Bluetooth from that menu, and from setting activate Bluetooth.
4) In the same Bluetooth menu chooser “Phone”. It will display a screen that should list all paired Bluetooth devices.
5) Now while you are on that page, turn Bluetooth on from your cell phone and search for devices.
6) You will find a device named “BMW*****”, it will be BMW followed by 5 numbers. (THIS IS YOUR PASSKEY)
7) Select device to be added and enter the passkey when asked for.
8) On the screen you will see a pop up message saying “Device Waiting”, you can choose “Add Device” or “Reject Device”. Once you choose add you will be asked to enter a passkey, use the same passkey u just used.
9) Now you have paired your phone with the car.
10) In the case of Sony Ericsson T610/T630 go to my devices under Bluetooth and from the options of the (BMW*****=name of device) that you just added there are options, I guess one of the options is connect or something like that. Once that is done you will see you phone appear in the list.
11) Now go back to the main I-Drive menu and choose “Communication”, it will display “Please wait” for seconds. Then you are connected and u can use the car’s system to make and receive calls.

This is what we did today with my T630 and it worked perfectly, too bad I still can’t get it to work with my car. It just doesn’t make sense to me why I the BMW phone is taking higher precedence over other devices and not letting them work. I hope the dealership comes up with a software upgrade before I go into service and ask them to disconnect my professional BMW phone.

I hope that helped you guys, please try to help me out here as well.

(E60 Bluethooth, BMW 530 2004 Compatible phones and pairing steps)

#11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:20 PM
n00b

kemp100 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in the US and i called the dealership today about ADDING a phone to my car and he said wait till BLUETOOTH is avail. Does anyone have a ETA on the avail of the BLUETOOTH tech on 5series E60?
#12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2004, 06:30 PM
ksz
1st Gear Member

ETA is in September of this year according to:

http://www.bmw545.com

in the section "Outstanding Issues and Current Problems".
#13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2004, 07:54 AM
n00b

Finallay this website is working again.
Anyone found a solution to my problem above guys ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, help please ghead
#14 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 12:39 PM
5th Gear Member

Silver4evr is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't have a bluetooth phone yet. Let me know if you come up anything, I'd still be interested in the solution for future ref.

2004 E60 530is, Delivered 12/12/03, TiSilver/LGrey, PP, SP,PS, PDC, ACC, FRS, Step, Xenons, clear bra, body colored rear inserts. (Retired, 1983 henna red 320is)

2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition
#15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2004, 03:35 PM
n00b

hey thanks silver4ever,
All i need to know if i can turn my phone off electronically from the system, iDrive doesn't allow it yet unless there is a software upgrade. It seems that i should pay a visit to the Branch Manager here again, those salesman give promises and do nothing. I mean why should they care, they already sold me the car.
but anyway, the BMW phone is still asking for the SIM card (GSM). I know not all phone companies in the US give out a SIM card, i beleive T-Mobile does. But my Sony Ercisson won't connect via bluetooth unless the system stops asking about the SIM car. It doen't make sense to me that BMW would build a system like that, and never give u the choice to use it if the car is equipped with a BMW professional phone, i know it is good but i want to use my own little cell phone.

i will keep digging in this, meanwhile if anyone has questions let me know. And if anyone has an ANSWER TO MY QUESTION pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssse let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)