BMW Werkz banner

Blown head gasket, new motor or new gasket?

23K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  silverlea 
#1 ·
Hi all you may remember me posting about my car running rough on cylinder four, I suspected a blow gasket and today I tore the spark plugs out and found cylinder four full of coolant. I talked to a friend of mine that's a mechanic and he told me that it may be better to just swap out the engine than redo the head gasket. because replacing the gasket will put strain on the lower end and I could risk losing the lower end of the engine. He said that if the gasket blew than something else happened (like overheated) to cause it to do that.

Head gasket replace cost 1,350 (can't do myself)

Engine with 60,000 miles cost 850 (can do myself)

Now can I use a motor out of a 328i (I have a 97 528i)? I found one complete for 850.00

How much more work would it be to swap in a 540i motor?

I would appreciate any and all input I could receive.

Thanks,
Kevin

See less See more
#2 ·
its alotta work man. we just finished my engine swap and im tired. . .
if the used engine checks out, and the compression is good, go for it.
its easier then fixing. i gotta run, but if u want specifics pm me and i will hit u back later
w/all kinds of info. do u have aim/yahoo mess., ect. ???
Mark

#6 ·
Yeah I did try block sealer to get me by while I'm waiting to do this swap, it didn't do much because the leak has gotten huge but since I'm getting a new motor anyways I'm just going to keep driving it until it pukes!!!! I just made an offer on a 2.8l motor with only 50,000 miles on it. I figure why go through all the trouble trying to adapt a new motor in there and pay all the money when for around 1300 I can buy a 50,000 mile unit and just swap it right in!! I could sell my car and buy a 540i for cheaper than the cost of converting it

#8 ·
why cant you do the head gasket your self?

its not an easy procedure but it is eisier than doing the whole engine.. just be sure to do your home work and learn first..

#10 ·
Do yourself a favour.........get the head gasket fixed.You may have to get the head planed etc if you have overheated the engine,and while its off have it crack tested as well.can you remember getting the engine hot ?
The above will save you many hours of grief and headaches. Doing an engine change is NEVER straight forward and always involves xtra xtra xtra...it never ends.......engine mounts are always mounted on different angles and on different parts of the chassis.....drive shaft lengths always different......bellhousings never seem to fit the existing firewall tunnell...........heard enough !!!
Trust this helps...........1350 does seem expensive to do a head gasket considering the gasket is only $130............and to remove the head and rocker gear will take 2.5hours............perhaps get another quote ??

Good luck.
SILVERLEA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.