Bimmer Wont Start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 01:43 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Melissa is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey I got a 98' 528i and lately is giving me nothing but problems. When i go to start the car, all auxillary power is activated but the engine just wont turn. Its not the starter, battery, or alternator and it doesn't do it all the time. But sometimes it'll take turning the ignition 20+ times before it finally starts. I had heard that if the microchip in the key was messed up, the engine would not turn. I have no idea what's going on. Also, somethings the ABS light and ASC light will go on and off as it pleases. Anyone heard of this or have any idea what the deal is??????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 02:33 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Melissa,
umm, you said the engine won't turn. I guess you turn the key all the way and nothing happens. I'm leaning towards the starter... Sounds like it's beginning to fail. I don't think your key is the problem.
Do you get any other warning lights besides the ABS & ASC lights?
The ABS is for your brakes. Maybe you have a leak in the system. I'm not sure if this is the same light if you were to need new brakes pads. Also, the sensor may need to be clean.

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 02:53 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by LOS@Nov 4 2004, 02:33 PM
Melissa,
umm, you said the engine won't turn. I guess you turn the key all the way and nothing happens. I'm leaning towards the starter... Sounds like it's beginning to fail. I don't think your key is the problem.
Do you get any other warning lights besides the ABS & ASC lights?
The ABS is for your brakes. Maybe you have a leak in the system. I'm not sure if this is the same light if you were to need new brakes pads. Also, the sensor may need to be clean.

LOS
[snapback]224499[/snapback]
#4 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 02:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
We tested that starter with a test light during one of its little fits. According to the test light, it was getting full power and was fine. There was no click sound of the starter not turning. The dash lights come and go so maybe you could be right about the ABS light, but the ASC light wont go off by pressing the button. We cant figure out what is wrong with this car!!! Ignition? Relay? I also heard if the safety switch in "park" is messed up, the car wont start either. Any ideas, im at a loss.......
#5 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:22 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

The ASC system is related to the ABS.
ASC is a traction control option. When one of the rear tires comes of the pavement, the light would light up and the ABS would apply brake presure. There was a member on this forum who had a similar problem after replacing the fronT tires. He found a loose wire. (IT WAS POSTED ON SEPT 15, ON THE 5 SERIES FORUM, I CAN'T SEEM TO POST THE LINK SO YOU'RE GOING TO LOOK FOR IT). As for the idea of a messed up switch, is a valid thought but I don't think I would bother with it for now unless you have abused the transmission.

Going back to the starter problem, You brought up a good point. One of the relays could be loose or be malfunctioning. I'll look up the location of the relay switches tonight.

LOS
#6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:29 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Wow, thank you so much. Oddly enough i did get the front tire replaced just yesterday and its been pretty nasty weather. So hopefully thats that problem with the lights. I just wish i could start it!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:37 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

The thread was "ASC LIGHT AND MANUFACTURER ALARM" date sept 19
The member was FIRST528i
Dang it, I can't seem to attach the link to this email!

LOS
#8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:53 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Melissa:I have no idea what's going on. Also, somethings the ABS light and ASC light will go on and off as it pleases.

Based on the above; add the following note to LOS's recommendation: When this light (ASC) go on/off it is closely related to the THROTTLE SWITCH which cuts power to the engine to prevent a skid. Black plastic switch sits on the top of the throttle body. Is the check engine light on? If so Codes? Is the throttle body switch included in these codes?

good luck
billb
#9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 04:26 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I havent seen the check engine light come on, but do you think that there may be a correlation between the ABS/ASC and the car not starting up??
#10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Without a fault code it will be impossible to determine for sure. Having said that a little info. about ASC may come in handy:
In extreme slippery situations it acts with concert with other systems such as the ABS to affect what they call Drive Torque Reduction on your engine and hence spinning. As such it will limit the engine's torque output during bad traction situations such as snow and ice. For sure It does so by reducing the throttle valve angle, alter ignition timing, in addition to cutting individual fuel injectors. But it will not kill your engine!

P.S. when you started your troubleshooting process did you start from the basics? gas? is the engine getting enough gas? fuel pump? electric? old battery? not enough juice gives you these warning lights? spark plugs?ignition?ignition switch? etc etc. In sum without a fault code we will be all over the place!!!!

regards
billb
#11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 04:45 PM
n00b

phattruk01 is on a distinguished road
I have a 2000 528i with 110k miles. I have a bad abs module which causes the traction control and abs lights to display on the dash. the car has been running perfectly like this for the last 2 years. Recently these 2 display lights have started flickering. None of the other lights in the dash or on the radio do this. a few days ago i went to start the car, turned the key , and nothing happened, no sounds, no lights, nothing. tried again, and the car started but then cut off after 3 - 5 seconds. after doing this a few more times the car ran but the battery light was flashing. i cut off car and restarted and everything was normal. no flickering of any of the lights. The car ran fine for a day and then the flickering lights started again. once again when i turn the key to start, nothing happens, then the second time, car starts.
now i cannot get the car to start at all. I did manage to charge the battery and it measured 12.8. When i put it in the car and turn the key to position 1 all the lights in the dash light up, but the headlights dont come on.. . try to start it and nothing happens. when i attempt to start again the only lights on the dash are the odometer and a dimly lit oil light. i tested the battery at this point and it read 12.1. 2 hrs later, another attempt to start and the same issues as above plus the batt is now at 11.9 (practically dead). i am going to try to exchange batt tmrw and test.. the only warning i had of any problem was the abs light flickerring every once in a while (i have a bad abs unit) and right before batt died the battery symbol flickered on and off a few times but then stopped. souldnt the 12.8 volts in the battery be enough to kick in the starter?
scould this be an alternator issue? the battery is 1 year old, i bought the car 6 years ago at 40k so doubt if the alt has ever been changed.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 05:29 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Thread is from 2004...

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)