BMW Werkz banner

Best Performance Upgrades?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Alin10123 
#1 ·
So it looks like sometime in the next year or two I'll be upgrading (inheriting) from an Audi A4 to a 2003 530i non-sport. I've been looking around the forums for the best performance upgrades. First thing, hypothetically, will be bilstein sport shocks and H&R springs and a nice set of 18" rims. After that, I'm not sure where to go.

Do they have BMW ECU upgrades of any kind?

I'm assuming exhaust and cold air intake are two popular upgrades... how much will these up the horsepower? Is it possible to get to 250HP with relatively inexpensive bolt on mods?

Please share how you've modded your E39... I'm asking you to show off! By the way this is an auto/steptronic. I'm assuming the steptronic can handle an extra 25HP?

Thanks!

#2 ·
After searching around and checking out Dinan.... I have to admit I'm not very impressed. The chip does almost nothing... which is understandable because BMW tunes their engines well stock. High flow exhaust, 5HP? Not much gain for a 225HP stock car; exhaust is usually 5%. The only thing worth it seems to be the cold air intake. So say I speed $2000 and get all these things and get a whole 15 extra horsepower.... I probably won't even feel it. My Audi A4 is 170HP stock. 200HP with chip. 215 with cat-back exhaust. 240HP with turbo upgrade (less than $1000). Given, it's a turbo, but seriously, for the same price you can add either 15HP to a 530 or 70HP to an A4. I'm thinking I might just sell this bimmer and the A4 and buy a 2001 Audi S4 w/ 250HP stock, 300-320ish with chip, and somewhere over 350HP with turbo upgrades.

Unless... there is some amazing mod I'm just missing. Any kind of supercharger for bimmers? Don't get my wrong, I love bimmers, it's just sad they don't have a large modding potential. I have to admit I would love driving a 5 series with coilovers to get rid of this "boat/floating" driving effect. Nice for long drives, not for cruising.

#4 ·
I don't think there is anyway I could afford a 540 even aftering selling both cars. For that much money I would most certainly buy a different car anyways.... a M3 for example. I've never driven a 3 series but I assume they are much sportier, more closely related to an A4. I do recall riding in a 328i and it felt like the 5 series with the huge front end.

#5 ·
Originally posted by matt719@Oct 23 2004, 09:56 PM
I don't think there is anyway I could afford a 540 even aftering selling both cars. For that much money I would most certainly buy a different car anyways.... a M3 for example. I've never driven a 3 series but I assume they are much sportier, more closely related to an A4. I do recall riding in a 328i and it felt like the 5 series with the huge front end.
[snapback]216989[/snapback]​
How much do you have to spend? I'm thinking about selling my 540.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.