BMW Werkz banner

Battery & Trans problem

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Dan Kelliher 
#1 ·
My 2002 525i has been sitting since my wife got a newer 535. Finally got the car sold, but after signing the papers, I turned off the car and it would not start again. Battery was dead, installed 6-07. Jumped the car to take it to get a new battery and while going out the drive, the battery light came on. I parked the car, not wanting to die on the road and removed the battery and took it with me. Upon returning and installing the battery, the battery light stayed on and the trans went into failsafe mode. Left the car idling for a short period of time and each time I put it into gear, it went to failsafe. Disconnected the battery for about 1/2 hour and tried again, with the same results.

Any suggestions for what is going on here and if it can be solved without taking it in and losing $$ since I will need to repair?? I want to get it out of the driveway. Thanks

#2 ·
Figured it out. Voltage at the battery was higher with the car running, but the battery light satyrs on. Took the alternates off and had it checked. Two places couldn't tell me it was good or bad, third said bad. Replaced and everything works well. Found a crack in the air intake boot again so had to replace that too. Just delivered the car, now to cash the check.

I guess that if the electronic trans doesn't play well when the alternator is not charging properly. Now to enjoy the newer 535 x drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.