BMW Werkz banner

Battery Recomendations

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  dresslered 
#1 ·
Does anyone recommend a specific type of battery for a E39 528i '99?
Should I buy the OEM battery?
Does anyone use the Odyssey PC1200MJT Battery?

Also, is there anything i have to be worried when replacing a battery myself, trouble shooting, ect.. I've got the owners manual instructions, which explains it pretty easily

#2 ·
Scott, do a search under "battery". There is lots of info on this subject.
I replaced mine with non-brand type over a year ago, no problem so far. I do recommend to check your connections three to six months after you replace the battery. Look for any leaks as well. On mine I noticed a loose cable after three months... I paid $60 bucks for it. The dealer wanted $300 for theirs...
Another member named Eric had a problem a leaky battery from a Sear's store!

LOS

#3 ·
Battery

I used an Exide group #49 since I hear that the dealers use these from time to time and from what I understand they last longer than the stock one. Cost was right at $100.

Others swear By the autozone OPTIMA battery, I did not investigate but my friend told me they run upwards of $185.

I like the exide though and it hasn't failed me yet...been 2 weeks :)

#4 · (Edited)
Optima

I would have to swear by the OPTIMA batteries as well. I have had one in my 5er for many years (even completely draining it dead once due to leaving the parking lights on for many days) and I run two in a Dodge Ram 3500 diesel that draws 180-amps at startup. Every once in awhile, Summit Racing has a sale on them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.