BMW Werkz banner

Battery Location

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Leicesterboy15 
#1 ·
I can't seem to get to my battery. :banghead When you all stop laughing, heres the deal:

The cars an e34 535i and I've been told that the battery is under the rear seat and to get to it, all I have to do is the push the two clips in that are located on the seat bottom cushion where the cushion meets the carpet. problem is I can't find any clips! Theres nothing there, when I move the cushion, I can feel roughly where it is being held down but there are no clips to be seen..anywhere. A bit further down on right hand side, there is a plastic cover with a bolt behind it, is this anything to do with it? Is it different for leather seats? I have looked in the engine bay and the boot and the battery is definately not there!

I could do with some help on this cos I am bang out of ideas!!

#2 ·
:lmao2 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Just Kidding !

The two places where you can feel it's being held down, grab there and yank up hard. It should be on the front of the seat.

#3 ·
yeah, mine is held by 2 clips, but the 2 clips are inside the seat not on the outside, so u just gotta have faith and just pull the crap outa the seat, it'll come out. for me though, there is a screw in the middle of the back seat holding it down, make sure u get rid of all the screws before u pull it up :D

#4 ·
this just in:

BMW is going to be putting their batteries under the front bumber cover on all models from 2005 on. The removal of the front grille, bumper cover and the fog lights will be required in order to get to it. If you suspect your battery might be bad, take it to a dealer and have them replace it for you...or die trying.

Just kidding folks.

#5 ·
One source said the batteries were going to be incapsuled within the intake manifold so as to provide a nitrous oxide like burst of energy and to perhaps create yet another reason for an over-complicated electronic control unit that will indeed need 9 software updates within the first two years of production.

jk

#6 ·
LOL...

Shouldnt instructions be in the manual?

#10 ·
Originally posted by Leicesterboy15@Mar 12 2004, 12:20 PM
I can't seem to get to my battery. :banghead When you all stop laughing, heres the deal:

The cars an e34 535i and I've been told that the battery is under the rear seat and to get to it, all I have to do is the push the two clips in that are located on the seat bottom cushion where the cushion meets the carpet. problem is I can't find any clips! Theres nothing there, when I move the cushion, I can feel roughly where it is being held down but there are no clips to be seen..anywhere. A bit further down on right hand side, there is a plastic cover with a bolt behind it, is this anything to do with it? Is it different for leather seats? I have looked in the engine bay and the boot and the battery is definately not there!

I could do with some help on this cos I am bang out of ideas!!
Jsut pull the rear seat up. It's really hard to find out those clips and finding them won't help u much. So just pull the seat up and it's located under passenger side of the seat.

P.S. Dont even mess up with the backrest. Leave it alone !!!

#11 ·
Cheers guys, so I guess I just PULL, well as long as I don't have to make small talk with it and buy it a drink, I should be ok :p

When I bought the car, I got a manual that covered every incarnation of the e34 appart from the 535 and there was nothing in it about the battery!

To change one simple headlight bulb, I had to remove the centre grill,side grill and headlight housing before I had enough space to change the bulb, so I suppose I shouldn't have expected the battery to be simple!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.