battery discharges after 2 days of sitting - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
need too know is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
battery discharges after 2 days of sitting

Seems like blower motor runs all the time?help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
More info? As a guess, a climate control relay may be stuck.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 PM
n00b

need too know is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2002 540 i where is the relay located?pulled all fuses no change drawing 12 amps any help would help thanks
#4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:46 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Not knowing more, I suggest a look at diagrams on realoem.com

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
i know some BMWs have a fresh air fan that draws for a few minutes folloewing car being shut off, perhaps it is staying engaged?

Just my 0.02.

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 10:28 PM
n00b

gemnilvr is on a distinguished road
it is your final stage unit!! the fan will keep running and draining your battery, ur car should go to sleep after 15 minutes but if u have a faulty fsu it will stay running and the red/orange light next to the shifter will stay on as well!! easy fix and a cheap fix!! u can buy them on ebay and replace urself! search the threads im sure it is listed!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2009, 08:03 AM
n00b

kwcannon is on a distinguished road
Smile 2002 530i same problem

Mine was caused by a bad resistor "pack" used for fan speed selection. The dealer pointed it out and I repleced it. 15-20 min job. The item is located behind a small triangular pop-off cover located on the center console in the passengers side footwell. pop the cover, unplug the resister, insert new one replace cover. Opening is a bit small. Good Luck
#8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
#9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:37 PM
n00b

vrouserun is on a distinguished road
no doubt the FINAL STAGE RESISTOR is bad. i had the exact same problem. it's pretty common
#10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:58 AM
n00b

MBurns is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to MBurns
Exact same thing happened mine a few months ago and it was the FSU although some suppliers still refer to it as a rheostat even though it’s a solid state device. Anyway it was located in the right side footwell in the side of the centre consul. My car is a right hand drive so I’m not sure if a left hand drive is the other way around but I think it’s still in the same place. You will see a plug connected to it and the unit itself stuck into the side of the air duct, which provides cooling for the unit. The part has a number of spikes sticking out of it. If you call to a BMW dealer they will most likely tell you this is what’s wrong if you mention the battery running down like that. With regards the fuse. The fuse for this is none of the normally visible ones. It’s actually located behind the glovebox. As far as I remember there are two fuses and the relevant one to try pulling, if you want to be 100% sure. The fuse is a 40A. Again My glove box is on the left so yours is probably on the right as I think your other fuses are there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)