Balancing The Tires - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 09:21 PM
68th gear and shifting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
(Thread Starter)
So i went to Merchant's tire center to balance my new tires and they put the weights on the outter side of my rim. I got 1999 528i with sport package, and my friend as well as few other people told me that you actually have to go to bmw dealership because the weights that are used should be placed somewhere on the inside used where on the inside - i dunno... well yeah, so should i go to merchant's and get my money back? or is it alright if the weights are on the outside?

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 04:22 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by superdeadman@Feb 23 2005, 04:21 AM
So i went to Merchant's tire center to balance my new tires and they put the weights on the outter side of my rim. I got 1999 528i with sport package, and my friend as well as few other people told me that you actually have to go to bmw dealership because the weights that are used should be placed somewhere on the inside* used* where on the inside - i dunno... well yeah, so should i go to merchant's and get my money back? or is it alright if the weights are on the outside?
[snapback]297410[/snapback]
You see this is how BMW make so much money - Myths and legend such as "you have to have your tyres balanced at a BMW dealer". I'm not knocking you personally, but this is about as true as saying I'm the Queen of England.

OK here's the low down. When balancing a tyre the rim/tyre is spun on a machine that determines how much wobble (in basic terms) is present (as a disc very seldom spins perfectly) and advises the operator on how to correct this wobble by attatching weights to the inner AND outer edge of the rim, including the weight required and it's required position on the rim. However, without going into the laws of physics a clever tyre fitter will be able to cheat here and using his knowledge move weights around the rim, or, from the inner rim and outer rim to gain the same effect.

What I mean is, if a wheel machine says 15 grams is required on the inner rim and 5 on the outer rim, a good tech will be able to place 20gram on the inner rim and find the sweet spot which eliminates the wobble in exactly the same way as the 15/5 gram combo.

In short ANY tyre fitter should be able to balance ANY tyre on the inside only. And if he really respects your wheels he will use the stick on weights instead of the hammer on ones too. Most though, just want to do a quick job and won't do this unless you ask them to.

(Yep I briefly worked as a tyre fitter)
#3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
n00b

pollyo is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bot a 2001 525i and I saw the weights on the outside of my rims as well... I asked the dealer and he told me that the tires were just balanced by a "qualified BNW" technician... I said ok and left it at that but it sounds like beezelbub knows what he's talking about. Consequently I am going to take my wheels to someone else and have them rebalanced with the weights on the inside..
#4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
A friend of mine runs a tire shop as well. I know every time I have purchased rims, tires, rotation or whatever, he has always use the stick on type weights on any aftermarket rim I have. And/or uses the "hammer-on" style on the rear only. If the rims are polished/chrome in anyway, shape, or form, I would have them clean the wheel REALLY good (for good adhesion) and rebalance them with the stick-on style. BeelZibub is right on they should be able to fudge one way or the other or a combination and get it really close to true.

I am sure the "BMW technicians" guy doesnt care about the cosmetics, rather he is interested in making them as true as possible, regardless of looks.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 11:30 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
Well, the mechanic did use the stick on weight so i can't complain there. So, from what i understand, it doesn't matter much where the weights will be, and that BMW dudes think it's cool to have the weights on the inside and make it seem like all the bimmers are flawless and do not need their tires to be balanced?
if that's the case, than i save like 70% off of bmw's price

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 01:35 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
It's not just BMW's, almost all cars with nice wheels now have their weights on the inside. I believe it's purely for aesthetic reasons. Like BeelZ said, wheels can be balanced with weights on the inside or out. I think it would be just common sense for the tire guy not to put any weights on the outside of a nice smooth wheel!

2012 Porsche 911 GTS
2008 ford F150 Foose Edition
#7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 03:28 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by CosmosBlack@Feb 24 2005, 08:35 AM
It's not just BMW's, almost all cars with nice wheels now have their weights on the inside. I believe it's purely for aesthetic reasons. Like BeelZ said, wheels can be balanced with weights on the inside or out. I think it would be just common sense for the tire guy not to put any weights on the outside of a nice smooth wheel!
[snapback]298260[/snapback]
Yep why pay $1500 for a nice set of flash rims to have bloody great weights hanging off the edges!
#8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
68th gear and shifting

(Thread Starter)
haha, i feel you there BeelZibub!
i got sports package, hence 17in smooth looking rims... and yeah, weight are on the outside so the rims aren't slick no more

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 08:39 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
[attachmentid=18860]

Take a look here and please tell me where a tire fitter can place a weight ANYWHERE on the “outside” of this wheel (left side of picture) -stick-on or sledge hammered!! It has to be on the “inside” and the inside only. Compare it with the tire on the right side of pic. which is my stock 15”. Yes it will take the weights on its outer edge. This 17” has no vacancy to accommodate any lead on the outside?
As Beelz said (didn’t know u were a tire fitter-briefly that is) two factors come into play here. 1. The Balancing Machine itself and 2.The skills under the belt of the machine operator. A quick look:
1. The old balance machines were designed for older steel wheels. They had settings for the width of the wheel and assumed hammered weights on the edges. Some had other options like balancing the mag wheels if u old enough to remember those. As such even after feeding the machine with all relevant data about the wheel; its calculated weight will be based on an entirely different wheel; because it assumes sledge-hammered weight for steel wheels. Thus feeding the machine with the proper input is a must. To do so it will take someone who knows his stuff….not Harry’s Taxi and $5 balancing services.
2. When I took those 17” for balancing I couldn’t help it but to stand next to the fitter to see how he does it. He had a modern machine which allowed him to input "a priori" his preferred location of the weight. Then he went on to split the heavy long weights while explaining, to me, the aftermath effect of weight cosmetics and glue separation. He charged $25 per wheel…I was impressed.
Note: I did not say dealer or independent tech….simply a good one…..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tires_Picture_003.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	17753  
#10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 01:10 PM
68th gear and shifting

(Thread Starter)
these are the rims i got. you can put the weights on the outside.
As far as the person charging you 25 bucks/wheel, i think that's the price the dealership asks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	600434_9.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	17820  

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)