backfiring and spluttering - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
oti_o1 is on a distinguished road
backfiring and spluttering

hi guys,
i'm new to this forum.
i got myself a bmw 525i 1992 model a couple of months ago and it was performing beautifully until i got myself caught in a storm. the roads were flooded up to my headlights but it still got me out of there. now my problem started soon after with my car spluttering and backfiring if you leave it parked for over 7 hours. it only starts doing this when the car has moved for about 2 blocks. i've changed the plugs and i bought a new fuel pump as soon as i got the car.
please can anyone help out.
oti_o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2007, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
Is your check engine light on?
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 04:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jetpacman is on a distinguished road
Just curious but did the door seals keep the water out of the interior?

Sounds like water in your fuel system. This causes spluttering and maybe backfiring and maybe the moisture has stuffed up the measurements of your fuel management system as well.

I suggest you have this checked out at a proper mechanic. Maybe water leaked into your tank through the fuel cap when the car was a submarine or past the float level seal on the tank. Did you have the new pump fitted after the the car got semi submerged.
jetpacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 00 Prelude, 95 525i, 85 635CSi
Photos:
d3ity will become famous soon enoughd3ity will become famous soon enough
I'm shocked water didn't find its way into your intake and really fsck things up.

You would have probably known instantly if that was the case. Honestly, this isn't a problem I would even want to deal with on my own. Find yourself a reputable mechanic with a background in BMWs.
d3ity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
oti_o1 is on a distinguished road
i got d pump fitted b4 i turned submarine and yes i didn't get wet so i guess we could use it in the next waterworld movie. the check engine light isn't on. the only light that comes on when i start the car these days is the Trans Program and this comes on when i start the car and goes off almost immediately sorta like the battery light.
oti_o1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)