BMW Werkz banner

Back end

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  BimmerAdict 
#1 ·
I have the 540i from 1995...I had the whole front end done, but now I'm still getting shake at 45-60 mph.....

We got new tyres just a month ago and still with the shake from the back side.

Does anyone know what this could be all about?

Eric

#3 ·
At first when I bought the car, the front end would shake through the steering wheel to the point you had to slow down to 40 or so. So....I went to Kito (google made by Kito) and he replaced the whole front end. Everything was smooth sailing on the front side, , but still when you got between 50 and 60 the back end of the car was still shaking. You felt it in the seats, the middle, etc. Over 60 and all is smooth. So Kito thought that maybe it was the differential. We threw it up on the rack and in fact the diff was solid and in good shape, BUT he found that the guibo was in need of replacement. So we want to try replacing it, and see what happens, but what I' m more interested in is...if the replacement doesn't solve the problem...then what? The driveshaft and axles are straight, and the bearings are right there. the car has 130K so....

I'm a newbie to all this, so if there's any other thoughts....I'd love to hear them. It appears that the car was hit on the front passenger 1/4 panel long ago...could that have something to do with this?

Thanks all!!!

#4 ·
I don't think the accident could have anything to do with this unless the frame is damaged or bent. Obviously with a damaged frame it should have been considered totaled, but maybe the damage went unnoticed.

I'm guessing the Guibo will fix your issues. Eventually they get worn down and start cracking. The guibo transfers power from the driveshaft to the differential, so an old worn-out guibo could definitely cause the issues you're describing.
Otherwise, if the axles, diff, and driveshaft look good I would just double check the wheel bearings.

Here is a DIY guide to replace the guibo: https://www.bimmerhq.com/blog/bmw-3series-flex-disc-guibo-replacement/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.