Auxiliary fan noisy - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 01:30 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
paplip is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Auxiliary fan noisy

Last month, the front end of my E39 was wrecked and just got it two days ago. I have a new radiator and fans. The electric fan in front of the radiato is very noisy, the kind of noise from a very fast and loud fan. The engine is running and this is all you hear from 100 feet.

Is it possible that the fan was plugged backwards? Should it push air in or pull the air out? Pulling the air out doesn't seem to make sense with me since it will compete with the fan from inside.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:40 PM
4th Gear Member

Eric S. is on a distinguished road
Is there any rattling or is it a pure whirring noise? I ask because there are multiple little flaps in the housing around the fan itself that can get broken off and ingested into the fan and cause a lot of racket.

Another cause of racket is simply a build-up of leaves and debris between the fan and the radiator. About the only way to fix either of these problems is to remove the fan itself and clean everything out.

When I did mine (it had ingested a couple of its own flaps and sounded terrible), it took me about 4 hours, but I work slowly. I followed my Bentley manual's instructions, which required removing the fog lights, headlight trim strips, the bumper, the headlights, and then (finally) the electronic fan itself.

I am 99% certain the fan pushes (or should be pushing) the air front-to-rear.

There is also a nice write-up somewhere (bmwtips.com?) providing tips on troubleshooting that pusher fan.

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
#3 (permalink) Old 08-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
if you ended up with aftermarket fans they can be hellishly loud

we had a supercharged stroked 6.2l hummer with an aftermarket exhaust and its dual electric fans were louder then any other thing on the truck.

#4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
n00b

paplip is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your reply. The fan is new and it is a BMW. I guess I didn't describe the noise correctly. It is just that the fan is running very fast.

I verified that the fan is actually pushing the air in so what would make it run so fast? It was kind of hot here in the Boston area but didn't think it would have that effect.

I will keep an eye on it and Eric, I found that post on it.

Thanks,
Patrick
#5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 01:04 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
I have noticed that the newer replacement aux Fans from BMW are noisier than the originals. Also I have noticed that with the current heatwave most e39 aux fans sound like they could be powering an airplane. I would say what you are experiencing is normal for this time of year.

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)