asc light on??? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 05:20 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mybeamer is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
asc light on???

i have a 94 530 i. the asc light is on and stays on. i found the cable for the throttle choke broken on the intake. i cant find the other end of the cable. i bought the new cable. i need help finding the other end where the cable connects to. i keep thinking it goes in this motor under the brake booster. it has a electrical connector going to it. and it also has a cable already going to it. is this where i connect the cable? please help, its going to snow tomorrow and i cant go over 40 mph or ill spin out!!! please help. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 09:33 PM
n00b

mrmojo37 is on a distinguished road
What is the cable called and where did you get it from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybeamer View Post
i have a 94 530 i. the asc light is on and stays on. i found the cable for the throttle choke broken on the intake. i cant find the other end of the cable. i bought the new cable. i need help finding the other end where the cable connects to. i keep thinking it goes in this motor under the brake booster. it has a electrical connector going to it. and it also has a cable already going to it. is this where i connect the cable? please help, its going to snow tomorrow and i cant go over 40 mph or ill spin out!!! please help. thank you
I have a 1997 528i with a broken cable too. Where did you get yours and what do you call the part? I dont know how it hooks up either.

Thanks
#3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
its called a choke throttle cable. i bought it from the dealer for 25 dollars. i pulled on the cable and it came out from the motor but where is the motor. the one end is on the intake. i think its under the brake booster. im going to check tomorrow after i finish work. i will let you know if i find where it is. let me know if you find anything. thanks. if anyone knows please post. thank you
#4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM
n00b

masesE39 is on a distinguished road
the motor should be bolted in front of the cruise control motor and you have to pop open the motors plastic case to place the cable back on to the plastic gear of the motor.
The motor for the pre-throttle body should be located on the drivers side finder right in front of the wheel well hump......I hope this helps both of you out let me know???
#5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
hey thank you sooooo much. it worked out great. i found it exactly where you told me from underneath by the left tire. i popped off the casing cover and found the other part of the broken cable. but a message came up when i test drove the car. i drove it in the parking lot and there is ice and snow. the acs was working fine. but when it activates alot the engine seems to lose power. i guess thats its function to close the throttle plate to reduce rpm and not have control of the throttle. but then when i began to accelerate the car had no power and like it didnt want to move. when i shut the car off and restarted it everything was normal and the message was gone. it said trans problem. any idea what is going on? by the way i got power back ever since i replaced the cable!!!!!!!!!! im loving it.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 AM
n00b

you might want to adjust the cable it might be a little tight or loose!! you can adjust the cable at the throttle part of the cable there are plastic threads on the casing for the cable and you rotate it to set adjustment...hope this helps tune it ....p s did your asc light go out or is it still on????
#7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i didnt adjust it. it seems like its right on. yeah the light went out. its working great. i got alot more power. it takes off from a light quick.if the car is sliding too much the light keeps flashing like its supposed to. only the engine looses all its power and a message came up saying trans problem. it went away when i shut the car off. so far so good. next is to eliminate the resinator and weld to straight pipes from the converter to the muffler. that will increase some hp. thanks for the help and the great advise. happy holidays
#8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 AM
n00b

yup no probs glad you have your power back thats always a plus...lol
happy holidays.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
n00b

mrmojo37 is on a distinguished road
I just replaced the cable on my 1997 528i and the warning light went out. I was wondering, will this help my MPG? I have been getting an average of 22 MPG. Also, will having the cable fixed improve performance, other than helping with traction? If so, how.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM
n00b

well MPG Power all depends on how the pre-throttle was set with out the cable on it.
Mine was still open so i wasn't seeing any of the losses but, i did notice the car running a little richer not sure if had anything to do with it but it stop after i fixed the cable so kinda thinking it had a little to do with the problem. Other things you could check is the air filter and o2 sensors witch would need a scan tool to look at data from your cars computer to look at air/fuel mixture. I would check air filter first if MPG don't go up. Also MPG can be affected my how hard you have your foot in the gas....lol witch in my case kills my MPG...lol Let me know what you find!!
#11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 10:38 PM
n00b

miro1969 is on a distinguished road
I have 2000 528i (90,000 miles) and I had noticed both ASC and ABS lights are on. Recently battery went dead and was trying to jump start. After that check engine light came on along with ASC and ABS lights.
Took it to my mechanic, replaced battery, run full scan and did not find any faults/errors but both engine check and ASC/ABS lights are still coming on when engine is running.
One thing I have noticed though is when I start the car in the morning and leave it idling, while engine is still cold, ASC and ABS lights goes away. Keep the engine idling for about 5 minutes and then I have noticed one in a while rpm goes down and goes back up again and continue doing the same every once in while(little less then a minute). At one time engine after idling like that for about 10 minutes stalled. When I started again both ASC and ABS lights came on again and did engine kept running smooth while idling, no change in rpms.

Not sure if this behavior can be explained because engine is cold and computer is not fully functioning at first,, or something else.

Any ideas suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Miro
#12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM
n00b

well lets start with checking your brake fluid level. some times when your brake fluid gets a little low and you start your car the light will come on when the abs primes its self and does function test on its own. The idle thing might be a vaccum leak or might me a intake manifold leak witch i had once that caused my cars rpm to jump up and down a bit at start ups and when i would stop at lights and signs. Did your mechanic check for the codes when the lights were on or off??
#13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM
n00b

miro1969 is on a distinguished road
thanks for suggestions.
I will check fluid level. As for the idling I will check intake mainfold to see if there is any leak or crack in the hose.
Not sure but I suspect he checked for error codes when lights were on, but I wil suggest to check it on cold engine, when neither ASC or ABS lights is on.

thanks again
#14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 01:23 AM
n00b

brcarey is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to brcarey
I am having the same problem with my asc light on my 95 530i. but it is intermittant will adjusting the cable help me with my issue also.

brcarey
#15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM
n00b

Yes you could try to adjust the cable but i would look at the cable at both ends to make sure that cable is fraying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)