ASC light is on - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 09:22 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Franks528i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Okay a week ago the asc light turned on and wouldnt turn off, the next time i drove it it was off then when I got onto the tollway it turned on and has been on since (about 5 days). the car drives okay. i have no check engine lights. What are the possible problems. could it be a variance in tire pressure (high hopes), bad wheel bearing or sensor? please help

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>Frank</span></span>
<span style='font-family:Optima'>97 528i </span>
Euro' Clear Angel Eyes
Celis tail lights
OEM M5 Wheels
<span style='color:yellow'>Slow ass engine.</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 12:38 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Wow an ASC light? wtf? lol srry ill probably get it if you take it out of the acronym form, im just really lost right now.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#3 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 01:24 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
It means you have no traction and the problem could be anything from brakes to suspension issues.

LOS
#4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well the last few days, probably more, my front struts feel like they might be going out. could this cause it? how would bad brakes cause this light to come on?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>Frank</span></span>
Euro' Clear Angel Eyes
Celis tail lights
OEM M5 Wheels
#5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 10:15 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

Sorry, is not really the pads, could be the fluid. If you just flushed it and have a leak or air bubles in the system, etc... Check the fuses as well and clean the suspension components. lookf for anything that is loose in the suspension.

struts??? if we're talking about traction... maybe that's it, but the whole front end of the car would feels loose (a floating feeling when you make turns). I'll keep reading the repair manual...

LOS
#6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 06:44 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank you for your help.

Euro' Clear Angel Eyes
Celis tail lights
OEM M5 Wheels
#7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2004, 02:08 PM
n00b

02bmw540isilvergreynav is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank, I am sorry to tell you it is your transmission slipping. I have a 97 with the same problem right now i have been to busy to deal with. I just went ahead and bought a new car.
I am gettng it fixed to trade in for my wife's new car instead so I am having a used tranni put in for 2000. rebuilt would be 3700 according to the local guy. I am having one shipped to aamco since I am not keeping the car. I did notice my fluid was low so when I get a chance I will try that first but I don't think it is going to help. I think we are both screwed! I will let you know if I find different.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 01:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the potentially bad news. i really hope thats not my case.

Euro' Clear Angel Eyes
Celis tail lights
OEM M5 Wheels
#9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 01:11 PM
5th Gear Member

TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
it is possible to turn the ASC on and off manually isnt it?

correct me if im wrong, but on my 3 series its the little button infront of the shifter.

does anybody know if there is much of a difference if you turn it off and drive around?

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
#10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 10:47 PM
2nd Gear Member

EXtech is an unknown quantity at this point
Typical problems: faulty wheel speed sensor, faulty ASC control unit or in the rare case mentioned above, a transmission problem. Generally if the transmission is failing you will have noticeable slippage and/or usually trans program fault codes. There is a small possibility if it's a transmission issue that it is the output speed sensor inside the trans. It's more likely that you have one of the other two issues occuring (faulty ASC control unit or wheelspeed sensor). Take it to your local shop and have the fault codes checked, this is the only way to know for sure. I wouldn't procrastinate though. Good Luck !!

STETT Performance -
Everything BMW
921 J Place, Suite 200
Plano, TX 75074
469-767-3309

OEM Repairs and Maintenance
Extended Warranty Service
Pre-Purchase Inspections
Everything Performance (brakes, turbos, Nitrous, Cams, Complete Engines, Clutches/Flywheels etc)
-----------

STETT Performance Official Grand Opening BMW Meet, May 6th 11A-3P -- Music, Food, Drawings and Tons of BMW's go to http://206.123.107.13/stett and register.. it's FREE
#11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2004, 08:14 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thank you again. what does it cost to have the car scanned at a dealer? i can fix it myself but I just need to know what it is.

Thank you

Euro' Clear Angel Eyes
Celis tail lights
OEM M5 Wheels
#12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 12:44 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

I'm sorry it too so long to get back to you... EXTECH is right on the money on his/her reply!! And like he/she said, the only way to know it's to take it to the dealer and read the codes.... which should tell you what the problem is. Hopefully it will only be a sensor... Good luck... The dealers here in L.A charge around $125 just to look at the car... It all depends where you live

P.S KEEP US INFORM ON YOUR FINDINGS... IT WILL HELP THE REST OF US.

LOS
#13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Neutral Member

machinehead is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to machinehead Send a message via Yahoo to machinehead
Was there ever a fix/outcome on this?

The ASC light has been on since I bought my 525 e34 last August. ABS works fine, as does the speedo. The actuator cable is not broken and is adjusted per spec. and the throttle position sensor has been replaced, as has brake fluid & the pads are fine, all tyres even, same size/brand.

When engine is first started (not in gear) the light is off and can be turned on and off via the ASC button. Now, give the engine a blip of the throttle (over 1,100 rpm) and the light comes on and stays on - because of this I cannot see its an ABS sensor, and must be a faultly ASC unit as far as I can deduce.

Any thoughts? Are these simple to replace? Is a 2nd hand one likely to be good or are the units prone to failure?

<span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Arial'>because life's too short not to..........</span></span></span>
#14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:39 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
ASC+TRACTION works off of the ABS sensors on the rear wheels, hence if an ABS sensor gets damaged/fails or is simply disconnected your ASC light will usually come on - But as said above getting a code scan is the best way to go.
#15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

k2c69n is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah , i too have the same probably it comes and goes periodically.. I am going to take it to get it fixed once the weather gets a bit nicer.. I know mine doesnt have to do with the transmission at all.. mine works perfectly.. but those abs sensors are pretty pricey.

*If your not living on the edge your taking up too much space*

'98 328is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)