BMW Werkz banner

Asc & Eml Lights Come On Intermittently On 99 528i

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  darkhorse737 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I just purchased a 99 528I. everthing was going great until Both the ASC & EML light came own when i was driving. I've had the car for about 2 weeks and its happened twice usualy when i'm driving at very low speeds for example at a grocery store parking lot.
What happens is that once the lights go one i have a loss of power but if I punch it the lights both go off and the car goes back to normal.
Has anyone had the same problem if so what are some things I can do to fix this ?

#5 · (Edited)
EML = Electronic Throttle Control System(why EML beats me)
ASC/DSC = refers to traction control system

Here's a primer on EML and why ASC/DSC lights up along with it :

The Electronic Throttle Control System (EML) regulates the operation of the throttle valve(s).
The scope of EML design on BMW engines provides:
• Throttle valve positioning for optimum starting
• Precise idle speed regulation without the use of an external idle control valve/circuit
• Progressive throttle opening curves matched to the driving program (with EGS/AGS interface)
• Cruise control operation without additional control modules and linkages
• Automatic synchronization of the throttles (airflow balancing) for two independent banks,
throughout the entire engine speed range (M70, S70, M73 engines only)
• Intake air volume control for ASC/DSC (Automatic Slip Control/Directional Stability Control)
systems
• Maximum road speed limiting
• Emergency “Failsafe” operation in the event of component failures
The EML control module is a link in the total scope of Engine Management Control. The EML
is interfaced with other control modules to complete the management system, which includes:
• ECM(s) - Except E46 (EML integrated in MS42.0 ECM)
• EGS/AGS
• ABS/ASC
The main components of the EML system are:
• Accelerator pedal position sensor (PWG)
• Accelerator pedal position sensor (driver’s wish sensor - integrated in throttle housing,
E46 MS42.0)
• Throttle valve assembly/assemblies with electronic control motor(s) - DK/MDK
• EML control module (MS42.0 ECM - E46)

*** see the inter-relation??? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.