5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)
Hello everyone I just purchased a 99 528I. everthing was going great until Both the ASC & EML light came own when i was driving. I've had the car for about 2 weeks and its happened twice usualy when i'm driving at very low speeds for example at a grocery store parking lot.
What happens is that once the lights go one i have a loss of power but if I punch it the lights both go off and the car goes back to normal.
Has anyone had the same problem if so what are some things I can do to fix this ?
EML = Electronic Throttle Control System(why EML beats me)
ASC/DSC = refers to traction control system
Here's a primer on EML and why ASC/DSC lights up along with it :
The Electronic Throttle Control System (EML) regulates the operation of the throttle valve(s).
The scope of EML design on BMW engines provides:
• Throttle valve positioning for optimum starting
• Precise idle speed regulation without the use of an external idle control valve/circuit
• Progressive throttle opening curves matched to the driving program (with EGS/AGS interface)
• Cruise control operation without additional control modules and linkages
• Automatic synchronization of the throttles (airflow balancing) for two independent banks,
throughout the entire engine speed range (M70, S70, M73 engines only)
• Intake air volume control for ASC/DSC (Automatic Slip Control/Directional Stability Control)
• Maximum road speed limiting
• Emergency “Failsafe” operation in the event of component failures
The EML control module is a link in the total scope of Engine Management Control. The EML
is interfaced with other control modules to complete the management system, which includes:
• ECM(s) - Except E46 (EML integrated in MS42.0 ECM)
The main components of the EML system are:
• Accelerator pedal position sensor (PWG)
• Accelerator pedal position sensor (driver’s wish sensor - integrated in throttle housing,
• Throttle valve assembly/assemblies with electronic control motor(s) - DK/MDK
• EML control module (MS42.0 ECM - E46)
*** see the inter-relation??? :-)
Last edited by darkhorse737; 06-14-2008 at 10:24 PM.
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.