Alignment And Light Steering - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 11:16 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ErikB is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Since my last visit to the dealer (they swear they didn't touch the alignment), my car feels squirrely. It feels like the camber is out of adjustment (it now follows the ruts in the road, is more prone to be blown about by wind, and requires more constant correction going down the road). I took it back to the dealer, they had it for two days and simply gave it back to me stating that they drove it and found nothing to be wrong). They wouldn't even put it on the machine to check it. But, something IS different -- I can feel it.

So, the questions:

1. Can camber go out of alignment and be it be adjusted?

2. Should I risk a non-dealership alignment to make sure?

I've got a 2002 530iA Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:39 AM
n00b

bob in houston is an unknown quantity at this point
Erik, per my Bentley service manual, page 320-33, I quote "Front wheel camber is set at the factory and cannot be adjusted. Rear wheel camber is fully adjustable." It goes on to say that "Front and rear caster are fixed by the design of the car and deviations are usually the result of worn or damanged suspension or body parts."

Bob in Houston
#3 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 10:52 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by ErikB@Jan 24 2005, 05:16 PM
Since my last visit to the dealer (they swear they didn't touch the alignment), my car feels squirrely.* It feels like the camber is out of adjustment (it now follows the ruts in the road, is more prone to be blown about by wind, and requires more constant correction going down the road).* I took it back to the dealer, they had it for two days and simply gave it back to me stating that they drove it and found nothing to be wrong).* They wouldn't even put it on the machine to check it.* But, something IS different -- I can feel it.

So, the questions:

1. Can camber go out of alignment and be it be adjusted?

2. Should I risk a non-dealership alignment to make sure?

I've got a 2002 530iA Sport
[snapback]278057[/snapback]
It may sound unrelated but whenever you have the chance while the REAR wheel off the ground (jacked). With your foot try to press/push in the rear tire/wheel at 6:00 o'clock position. Any play?

P.s. I had a similar problem when it turned out to be an "integr. link" $80 or so; I changed both sides in the rear. It worked for me.
good luck
#4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 09:09 AM
n00b

ErikB is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I took the chance and took it to a local alignment shop that has done work for me in the past on my domestic vehicles. They found that the left front and right rear were "slightly" out of alignment. However slight it might of been, there was a definite improvement after the adjustment. They checked for play in the wheels (as did the BMW dealer) and found nothing of note.

There is still a little of the old feel left, and I'm thinking with about 15K on the tires, it's getting close to needing new rubber (I only got 14K out of the original Continentals).

Thanks for the help/replies.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 04:53 PM
n00b

hpacc is an unknown quantity at this point
did the dealer rotate your 15k worn tires?

-might be why the problem occured after the visit to the dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)