BMW Werkz banner

Airbag Warning Light Reset 2003 525i

14K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Beemerdaddy 
#1 ·
I had to make a repair to my front passengerside window. The airbag had to be temporarily disconnected and removed to complete the repair to the window. Everything has been plugged in and mounted back as it was before removal. The airbag warning dash light is now on and I need to know how to reset it, if anyone knows how to reset it.

#2 ·
I presume you did not disconnect the battery beforehand.....If you did disconnect the battery before hand Im unsure why the light is on and im afraid only diagnostics can turn the light off, this does not include a scanner it has to be software diagnostics.

#3 ·
The window cable had came off track and the battery was temporarily reconnected, while the airbag was unplugged, to make sure the cable would stay in place when the window was rolled back up. I'm almost certain that's when it set the airbag light. I know how to reset many of the indicator lights through the instrument panel. I was needing to know if you could reset the airbag light as well. If you know the proceedure or if there is a reset tool I could purchase it would be a great help. I hate to pay the dealership just to reset the light for me.

#4 ·
Thats for sure what set the airbag light on, you could do a search on ebay for a reset tool that does airbags,I can not honestly remember if there is, the reason is for safety as then anybody could reset it and the car could be potentially a death trap, I have the kit to do it but im the UK...so thats out..

There is however a software Carsoft 6.5 which is on ebay but you need the leads and a laptop not that expensive and does loads. just put in the ebay search bar "BMW diagnostics"

#5 · (Edited)
I found a bmw airbag reset tool that plugs in the diagnostic port under the dash. I had to order it from China, but it worked. Cost less than $50 dollars and worth every penny to get the light off. It worked for me but I didn't have a problem until I disconnected the airbag to repair the window. It read the code it had stored (low voltage passenger side airbag) and reset the light with no problems. There is only two buttons on the srs reset tool so basically anybody should be able to clear the codes.:rule

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.