Aftermarket Radio Or Cd Changer? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:28 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brians15 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 93 525i that has the factory radio that is ok but a cassette is stuck in it. I would like to either replace the radio w/ a mp3 capable cd/radio player or add a cd changer in the trunk and its already factory wired for. My question is how hard is it to change radios and if so what radio would be recommended? or would you go w/ the cd changer in trunk? THX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:52 PM
/Banned

Johnathan_Hess will become famous soon enough Johnathan_Hess will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by brians15@Apr 1 2005, 02:28 PM
I have a 93 525i that has the factory radio that is ok but a cassette is stuck in it. I would like to either replace the radio w/ a mp3 capable cd/radio player or add a cd changer in the trunk and its already factory wired for. My question is how hard is it to change radios and if so what radio would be recommended? or would you go w/ the cd changer in trunk? THX.
[snapback]323093[/snapback]
Personally, I'd rather just throw a CD changer in the trunk, as many of the aftermarket decks would clash with the interior of your E34.

However, there are some decks that allow you to change the color -- so you could shift the color to amber, and it'd match.

OEM CD changers will provide the best sound quality, but used ones run between 200-300 dollars, and from the dealership, they're like 600 dollars.

Aftermarket CD changers will have some loss in sound quality, but they can run a LOT cheaper.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 08:17 AM
n00b

brians15 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnathan_Hess+Apr 1 2005, 10:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Johnathan_Hess @ Apr 1 2005, 10:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-brians15@Apr 1 2005, 02:28 PM
Personally, I'd rather just throw a CD changer in the trunk, as many of the aftermarket decks would clash with the interior of your E34.

However, there are some decks that allow you to change the color -- so you could shift the color to amber, and it'd match.

OEM CD changers will provide the best sound quality, but used ones run between 200-300 dollars, and from the dealership, they're like 600 dollars.

Aftermarket CD changers will have some loss in sound quality, but they can run a LOT cheaper.
[snapback]323447[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Thx for the reply, I have looked on ebay and other web sites and a lot of those cd changers look like refurbished/used etc. Is there a reputable site I can buy a cd changer that wont be junk? Also will the stuck cassette interfere w/ radio operation? THX>
#4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Scotty Dangles is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by brians15@Apr 1 2005, 03:28 PM
Throw in an aftermarket CD/MP3 player. I put in a clarion player that fits beautifully, and it matches the car's interior to a t, strongly suggest the clarion line. You'll also likely see an improvement in sound quality as the OEM amp is bound to degrade over time.

Cheers
Scott
#5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2005, 09:41 PM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Search on ebay for this seller: christy_bmw

I got mine from them and have no problems. Price is about $300+ and they claim it to be brand new. They have used ones too.

I don't think CD changers will affect the sound quality much, it's more the system and speakers in your car that matters more.

Good Luck!

#6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
n00b

528iguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey! Ive got a Kenwood head unit that was in my '92 525 before i wrecked it. The the unit is in great condition. I have had it in both of my Honda's and in the E34. I can't put it in my '97 528 because of the dash configuration. It is close to the top of the line modle from 2002 or 2003. It plays cd and all that stuff. It has a color changing face that is detachable and will flip around for theft deterant. I really didn't want to get rid of it , but if you want it I know it will go to a good home and will be back where it belongs(in a BMW). It fit perfectly in the dash of mine. it is black and went well with the interior. I constantly got compliments on it. hit me up if your interested.

&quot; Illinois State Troopers don't like it when you do 115 m.p.h. on I-290; Who Woulda Known&quot;
#7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

rsn48 is an unknown quantity at this point
In this day and age, forget the cd player, instead add an Ipod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)