Advise On Rpm On Bmw 525tds E39 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:48 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MvdB is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

Does anybody have good advise on what kind of RPM to drive on a BMW 525TDS to keep it alive as long as possible? I have bought a 525TDS touring '97 with 250k KM on the counter.... and want to have at least some 2-3 years fun from it. So far it has been great, it looks really good, of course! and was really well kept by it's first owner.
I was owning a Opel Vectra 2 liter Diesel before, which I used to drive at between 2k and 3k RPM, which I consider very sweet on an engine, but still it broke down on me in the end..... (for the rest was actually a pretty nice car though, but of course no match for the current one )
Of course I understand warming up the engine is very important, but can low RPM rates be harmfull for an engine also???????
Considering that on the Dutch highways, where I live (not on the highway), 120Km per Hr is the max speed, in fifth gear the car is only doing 2,5k RPM....

I have already trashed 3 engines in about 5 Years, so I am getting very frantic about this.... I have bought this BMW despite it's high mileage (have to consider budget also) because first of all it has always been my dream to drive a BMW, and second of all, I believe this is one of the strongest engines around....
Any help to prevent me from turning my BMW dream into a nightmare would be very helpfull......

Thx in advance for any advise.....

Michael van den Berg
The Netherlands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:22 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by MvdB@Feb 9 2005, 03:48 AM
Does anybody have good advise on what kind of RPM to drive on a BMW 525TDS to keep it alive as long as possible? I have bought a 525TDS touring '97 with 250k KM on the counter.... and want to have at least some 2-3 years fun from it. So far it has been great, it looks really good, of course! and was really well kept by it's first owner.
I was owning a Opel Vectra 2 liter Diesel before, which I used to drive at between 2k and 3k RPM, which I consider very sweet on an engine, but still it broke down on me in the end..... (for the rest was actually a pretty nice car though, but of course no match for the current one* * )
Of course I understand warming up the engine is very important, but can low RPM rates be harmfull for an engine also???????
Considering that on the Dutch highways, where I live (not on the highway), 120Km per Hr is the max speed, in fifth gear the car is only doing 2,5k RPM....*

I have already trashed 3 engines in about 5 Years, so I am getting very frantic about this.... I have bought this BMW despite it's high mileage (have to consider budget also) because first of all it has always been my dream to drive a BMW, and second of all, I believe this is one of the strongest engines around....
Any help to prevent me from turning my BMW dream into a nightmare would be very helpfull......

Thx in advance for any advise.....

Michael van den Berg
The Netherlands
[snapback]288412[/snapback]
Michael to our board and BMW diesel is not too famous here due to the relatively US low gas prices compared to Europe's. The following is a basic tech discussion and I am sure many of our members will explain it in further details.
So forget about the difference between diesel and petrol engines performance for a minute or two and look at the bigger picture of RPM/HP and TORQUE. If you car has high HP engine with low TORQUE you still can go 120 km per hour, the catch? You have to wait for a while. To the contrary if your diesel/gas engine has high torque with low HP you still can accelerate very fast from the start, the catch? You will not get to a very fast speed.
Now based on the above I rather to make—ideally speaking- Torque at the higher not the lower RPM; this is due to the gearing factor since it can be manipulated. Implicit in this argument, thus, speed/its rate is defined by torque. You may ask what about HP? Why engines are rated by HP? Before quitting here I’ll pause with the following point for further discussions:
Too many HPs will make engine rev fast and it will make plenty of high torque. This is true regardless of what car/engine we talking about. Your thought?
Regards
billb
#3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 04:33 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
Drive it as soft or as hard as you like - it's up to you. Seriously if you want to thrash the nuts off it make sure you service it well, if you want to drive it like a fairy, make sure you service it well - SIMPLE HUH?

These americans will not know anything about Diesels- I myself used to be a Bosche Diesel Diagnostic Engineer and spent my days cleaning out/replacing/testing diesel injectors and pumps on all manner of diesel engines (The state of some made you weep). At the end of the day modern diesels (particularly BMW diesels) are phenominal engines and can be run for over 300,000 mile with ease if looked after - you will have real problems breaking one - but then again you would have serious problems ttrying to break a BMW petrol I6 - Just keep up the servicing (independent is enough) and all shouold be well.

P.S diesels usually take a lot more shit so don't feel you have to lift off the loud pedal too often - she will take more than you can give her!!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 11:08 AM
n00b

Bandit127 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All

Just got a 2002 E39 2.5TDS and registered myself - so Hi! My name is Jim and I come from Farborough UK. The car is SE but has sport bits on it.

Back to the topic - I learned that knack of killing engines a long time ago. My advice would be that most wear is caused in the first 5 mins driving. Turbo engines especially need warm oil at the right temperature to lube all the bearings.

So - to kill an engine without fail:
1. Thrash it from cold. Everyday out of the work car park is best, nice and regular.
2. Never change the oil and only top it up when the oil pressure light comes on when you go around a tight corner. That way the oil gets overheated and loses its lubricating properties ASAP.
3. Also - if you want to make the crankshaft bearings wear out quickly it's better to use revs low enough to make the engine shudder or vibrate.

A bit tounge in cheek but a lesson I learned the hard way. Reverse the advice and don't worry about the revs. It does it good to red line it now and then and good oil will cope if its warmed up.

Your consumption will probably be best between 1,500 and 2,500 revs.

Regards, Jim
#5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2005, 10:01 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by BeelZibub@Feb 11 2005, 05:33 PM
Drive it as soft or as hard as you like - it's up to you. Seriously if you want to thrash the nuts off it make sure you service it well, if you want to drive it like a fairy, make sure you service it well - SIMPLE HUH?

These americans will not know anything about Diesels- I myself used to be a Bosche Diesel Diagnostic Engineer and spent my days cleaning out/replacing/testing diesel injectors and pumps on all manner of diesel engines (The state of some made you weep). At the end of the day modern diesels (particularly BMW diesels) are phenominal engines and can be run for over 300,000 mile with ease if looked after - you will have real problems breaking one - but then again you would have serious problems ttrying to break a BMW petrol I6 - Just keep up the servicing (independent is enough) and all shouold be well.

P.S diesels usually take a lot more shit so don't feel you have to lift off the loud pedal too often - she will take more than you can give her!!!!
[snapback]290021[/snapback]
Thanx for bailing me out BeelZ; Excellent reply and you do know your diesel; for sure. But I want you to know that back in the 70s I drove an old Mercedes 180D in West Germany (then) where you had to perform 2 stages of start up..holding a THING until you see a red glow on the dash prior to start up....No spark plugs and won't start cold unless preheated..the sound (like pouring water on boiling olive oil) and the black smoke would offend the senses of at least 2-3 cranial nerves on any human being...those days are history on the new models of BMW diesels....excellent engines..I wish I can get one......

regards
billb
#6 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:17 AM
n00b

djparker is on a distinguished road
This thread's a bit old now but just in case anyone's interested. I've had a 1998 525tds (known affectionately as the 'tedious') since 2001. Now has 112K miles (180K km) on it and it drives as well as the day I bought it and seems to be ageing nicely. Mine is an auto so there's not much chance of it being over-revved, though my BMW dealer tells me these 'pre-common rail' engines are the ones to have if you want to rack up big mileages. Apparently the newer, more powerful 525d and 530d are more problematic

regards
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)