BMW Werkz banner

AC Schnitzer Spoiler

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SoonerE39 
#1 ·
I recently bought a replica AC Schnitzer front add-on lip spoiler (hand-laid fiberglass). I tried it on and noticed that there is not much contact area between the bumper cover and the spoiler. There are no instructions or hardware that came with the spoiler for installation.

What I'm concerned is, if I use double sided tape, it won't be strong enough to hold it, especially at high speed winds. There is not much contact surface area at all. If I use screws, it's a no no, gonna look bad! The only choice I have now is to use some kinda permanent glue, like liquid nails or construction grade super strength adhesive (pliable, like caulking).

Does anyone have any experience with this? What kind of glue is best for this application, does it have to be high heat resistant, pliable, waterproof...etc.?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I used to work in the shop at CEC(U.S. importer of AC Schnitzer). First you have to check the fitment of the piece. You say that there is very little area of contact between the bumper cover and the spoiler. We used the adhesive that comes with the AC Schnitzer product but we also used a product made by WURTH. I'm not exactly sure what the name of it was called but the glue was black.. Make sure that the point of contact is sanded to provide a solid bond between the pieces.. Apply the adhesive and attach the two pieces. Use masking tape to hold the two together( make sure its really tight). Let the glue cure for about 24 hours for a good hold.. When the curing process is finished remove the tape and apply a clear sealant at the seams between the two pieces...I guess thats what you get for buying imitation products..Have fun!!...

#3 ·
LPRe28

Thanks for your feedback! The fitment is pretty good, except for slight gaps at both ends after the curve/bends.
Should I use a thick, gel-like, or caulking-consistency glue, so that I can fill up hollow spaces between spoiler and bumper cover to make more contact area? Will the glue stay in place or will it droop down?
Thanks for the tip on sanding the bumper surface. The inside of the spoiler is very rough though, hand-laid fiberglass.

Now I gotta go look for the right kind of glue. If I can't find that Wurth black glue, Do you think liquid nails will work?

#5 ·
Check your email Bro.

#8 ·
My RacingDynamics Front lip and rear apron are glue on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.