BMW Werkz banner

ABS Module ?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  LadyBim 
#1 ·
Hello everyone....
Recently my 2000 540i started with ABS/DSC warning lights coming on at varying intervals, just starting the car, during driving etc.

I've had the entire wiring system, wheel hub, sensors etc. checked all being in good condition, hence, my mechanic is now leaning towards the ABS module being shot.

In Canada, this puppy is going to run me over $ 1000 which I'd rather not...ouch !

Forum.....is a "used" module an acceptable alternative or should I bust the bank & buy new ?? Your advise would be greatly appreciated.

LadyBim

#2 ·
I am not a big fan of ABS, but then I do not have to drive in the snow.

There was a place that rebuilds these things for about $300 takes about a week. You might try googling this and see if you can find it. I may have a file on my home computer with the info. When I get back i will look and send it to you if I can find it.

Used units have 7 year old seals etc. I would not go this way unless it was dirt cheap...used parts are always a gamble.

The brakes will work fine without abs, you will just have to control skids the old fashioned way, by foot and steering control. Many will disagree with me on this, but just my personal preferance.

#3 ·
I'd buy new or take fastshivy's rebuilding advice.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. Fastshivy. I haven't got it fixed yet, my mechanic is still looking at a few options. Since then I had to replace the head gasket so I'm all outta $$$ for a bit. Seems like I'm having a run of big repairs.....keeping fingers crossed that's it for a while.

LadyBim

#8 ·
LadyBim -

ABS module failure is very common on 1999 and 2000 540s. As stated your two main options are to replace with a new module (about $600 to $700 if you shop around) or get your existing one rebuilt, which I hear is about a $300 job.

Sorry, but this is just one of those expensive 540 things to fix, and there isn't any cheap way around it. Good luck to you!

#9 ·
LadyBim said:
Thanks for the info. Fastshivy. I haven't got it fixed yet, my mechanic is still looking at a few options. Since then I had to replace the head gasket so I'm all outta $$$ for a bit. Seems like I'm having a run of big repairs.....keeping fingers crossed that's it for a while.

LadyBim
Hi LadyBim, I have the same ABS problem last winter for my 1997 528i, the parts replacement cost from local BMW dealer in Toronto even higher because in year of 1997 production ABS module and ABS pump was attached, so if something wrong with either parts, the hold unit need to replace. good luck to you!

#10 ·
Like Eric said this is a very common problem on these cars. Buying a used module is absolutely not a good option since due to the high failure rate there is a strong chance that the used module will have the same problem if not right away then shortly after.
I would recommend a new factory module.
If several others on this board have had good luck with the rebuilding company that fastshivy mentioned then I would encourage them to post their success stories. If very few people have used them then I dont think it would be worth the gamble.
Just my opinion.
DT

#14 ·
ABSTECH.........Many thanks for the info. I've sent an e-mail to your company today for a price estimate. I was hesitant to go the rebuild route if I had to send the unit out of country but seeing as you are in Miss. this might be a great option for me.

LadyBim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.