ABS comming on too early - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dandrei is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dandrei
(Thread Starter)
Question ABS comming on too early

Hi guys !

I have a problem with my car when breaking. When breaking gently and reaching low speeds (like 20 km/h and lower towards 0 km/h) I feel the ABS is comming on, I feel the pedal vibrating. I find this behaviour abnormal. I mentiond the fact that the onboard ABS yellow led never comes on and all 4 ABS speed sensor are newly changed (I thought a senzor was faulty, but it's not). I went with my car at a BMW dealer and had this issue diagnosed. They said that all electronics are ok (ABS control unit, sensors....) and the issue could be the wheel bearing on the rear left because the ABS sensor is reading its values from the wheel bearing.

I have hesitated to change the bearing because I'm not convinced the abs speed sensor is reading values from wheel bearing so this is why I'm asking you. The scope is to fix the brakes, not the bearing unless it's necessary.
Do you have any ideea where the speed sensor is taking its value ?
And also, do you have any other ideea regarding this behaviour of the ABS system ?

BMW E39 520d 2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 AM
n00b

assmoothasfcuk is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

hi,

was this issue ever fixed, or has someone had something similar? the issue i have is the same, although its on my e36, just trying to get to the bottom of it.

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks,

Danny
#3 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 01:34 PM
n00b

andes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrei View Post
Hi guys !

I have a problem with my car when breaking. When breaking gently and reaching low speeds (like 20 km/h and lower towards 0 km/h) I feel the ABS is comming on, I feel the pedal vibrating. I find this behaviour abnormal. I mentiond the fact that the onboard ABS yellow led never comes on and all 4 ABS speed sensor are newly changed (I thought a senzor was faulty, but it's not). I went with my car at a BMW dealer and had this issue diagnosed. They said that all electronics are ok (ABS control unit, sensors....) and the issue could be the wheel bearing on the rear left because the ABS sensor is reading its values from the wheel bearing.

I have hesitated to change the bearing because I'm not convinced the abs speed sensor is reading values from wheel bearing so this is why I'm asking you. The scope is to fix the brakes, not the bearing unless it's necessary.
Do you have any ideea where the speed sensor is taking its value ?
And also, do you have any other ideea regarding this behaviour of the ABS system ?
Hi,
I had trouble with ABS on my 523i 2000. I took it to an independent garage, who said two of the sensors needed changing. I gave the go-ahead and the problem was similar to what you report. Turned out that they had used non-BMW parts and the problem was finally fixed when I bought two sensors from the dealer and replaced them myself. I would advise you check if the sensors are from BMW. (The parts I bought had a BMW marking).

The 5 series sensors pick up signals from the 'reluctor ring', a series of 'teeth' on the outside of the bearing. I would check the sensors before changing bearings.
#4 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 07:41 PM
3rd Gear Member

Nick_318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick_318is
You can pull the fuse and try to outbreak the system, just be careful in turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yammahamma View Post
If I wanted to date you, I would have bought you dinner first.
#5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 AM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
pedal vibrating as in a chatter like vibration is not ABS or sensor problem.... it is a warped rotor problem... have your rotors turned and brake pads replaced.

ABS feels different... ABS coming on is a constant resistance on the brake pedal and not a vibrating one .
#6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:31 PM
n00b

harrison doug is on a distinguished road
i was getting the same thing. i found my abs exciter rings very dirty and corroded..i wire brushed them when i was replacing brake rotors(front) after cleaning exciters that premature abs activation went away..i have an '87 535is
#7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM
Neutral Member

Bimmer M.D. is on a distinguished road
You mean braking? Anyway, replace the abs rings.

** FOR SALE NOW! ** 1 Day Left! ** Click Picture! **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)