Abs/asc Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 07:52 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a_ok2me is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My ABS/ASC lights turned on a couple weeks ago. A shop pulled the faults and it showed faults in both front speed sensor. There was also a fault in the wire on one sensor. I thought this was the cable from the sensor to the wheel. I replaced both sensors, but the light is still on. So, I'm wondering if it's the cable from the sensor to the computer, or wherever it goes.

Anyone heard of similar problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 10:38 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Did you perform a reset after you installed the sensors? A reset will clear the memory if no other faults are present
#3 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 02:19 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
A smog test on the smog dyno can cause both front wheel speed sensors to fault. I hope this wasnt the cause because id hate to see that you wasted $$$ on sensors. Do you have any more details on this "wire fault"? Perhaps some more details would make it easier for people to give ideas.
Good Luck
DT

DT

#4 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 02:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Nov 20 2004, 11:19 PM
A smog test on the smog dyno can cause both front wheel speed sensors to fault. I hope this wasnt the cause because id hate to see that you wasted $$$ on sensors. Do you have any more details on this "wire fault"? Perhaps some more details would make it easier for people to give ideas.
Good Luck
DT
[snapback]234607[/snapback]
No, I didn't have a smog test or dyno. The lights turned on during regular driving. It also only turns on after 15 miles of driving from a cold start. It will always stay on during a warm start.

The shop's diagnosis tool said onscreen something like:

1) LFront speed sensor fault
2) RFront speed sensor fault
3) RFront sensor wire fault

I replaced both sensors, but the light's still on. I thought #3 was related to the cable on the speed sensor, so buying a new speed sensor would resolve #2 & #3 at the same time, but it didn't. So, I wonder if the cable line inside the car is bad. I would imagine that would be really tough to get at and replace.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 03:00 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by billB@Nov 20 2004, 07:38 PM
Did you perform a reset after you installed the sensors? A reset will clear the memory if no other faults are present
[snapback]234518[/snapback]
No I didn't perform a reset. But, the lights only turn on about 20 minutes or 15 miles after a cold start. I left the car sitting for about 5 hours after replacing the sensors to make sure the lights would be off. Then, I drove around waiting for the lights to turn on again and as usual, they turn on after 15 miles of driving.

I can't see how the simple functions of cables and sensors can cause these symptoms. I would imagine that if's it's a cable or sensor, then the lights would be on all the time. Given my symptoms, it seems so complex that I'm afraid it's not something as simple as the cables or sensors, despite the results from the diagnostic.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 11:24 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortuneately this sounds like a control module internal problem which is somewhat common on these cars. When you have several wheel speed sensor faults and the sensors are fine you have only 2 other options. 1) faulty wiring
2) faulty module

Sure it is possible that you have wiring issues, if you suspect wiring problems on both sensor lines then check for rodent damage, because it wouldnt make sense to have a issue on both of the circuits otherwise. Rodent damage can be spotted by chewed electrical connector boots, chewed hoodpad and/or dog or cat food stored in the engine compartment somewhere especially in the airbox.

Now if you dont have any rodent damage and the wiring has been tested by the shop or yourself and is ok then the only thing really left would be the module.

Hope this info helps some,

DT

DT

#7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 02:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Nov 21 2004, 08:24 AM
Unfortuneately this sounds like a control module internal problem

DT
[snapback]234691[/snapback]
I was thinking about that last night. No, it's no pesty rodent. My sister had one in her 528i. The guys at BMW parts say they most often see the control module on the counter. Is the control module an easy fix? It sounds expensive.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 03:01 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Quote:
Originally posted by a_ok2me+Nov 21 2004, 08:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(a_ok2me @ Nov 21 2004, 08:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dirty_Tool@Nov 21 2004, 08:24 AM
Unfortuneately this sounds like a control module internal problem

DT
I was thinking about that last night. No, it's no pesty rodent. My sister had one in her 528i. The guys at BMW parts say they most often see the control module on the counter. Is the control module an easy fix? It sounds expensive.
[snapback]234777[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

One more question before we get into control modules: Is your car fitted with BMW approved wheels and tires?
#9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2004, 06:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Yeah, it's all factory 16" rims and tires.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2004, 09:51 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty_Tool@Nov 21 2004, 08:24 AM
Unfortuneately this sounds like a control module internal problem which is somewhat common on these cars. When you have several wheel speed sensor faults and the sensors are fine you have only 2 other options. 1) faulty wiring
2) faulty module

DT
Do you know if it's easy to replace the control module. I believe it's next to the windshield washer canister on the E39. It looks like I can just unscrew it, unplug it and slap in a new module in minutes. Or if I can, I could fix the wiring. The module cost a ton though.

Is it that easy to replace or do I have to worry about fluids and bleeding and stuff?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)