BMW Werkz banner

'99 E39 530d wont start with under 15 litres of fuel

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  niles 
#1 ·
This issue seems to be a common one with 530d's.
I scoured the net and found many people complaining about the same thing.
If the car has less than 15 litres of fuel I get an intermittent starting problem, the car will turn over and won't start. If i put a can of fuel in it will start. If the car is parked 'nose up' it's worse.
I've changed the in tank pump and fitted a new in tank filter. New secondary pump is ordered and on its way.
I've read people's story's with exactly the same issue and they say they have changed in tank, in line pumps and the fuel filter under the bonnet and still they have the same problem, something is stopping the primary tank filling.
If these guys ever actually got their cars fixed 100% they don't go back to their threads and say what fixed it.
I will add, the car hasn't stopped when driving, once the engine is running it behaves. Its only on start up. Definite fuel supply/return issue.
It's frustrating a definitive answer is not out there.
Can anyone help? It's making a very nice car into a temperamental nightmare.

#2 ·
Ok, in line (under front left seat) pump is changed for a brand new one. It's much quieter. I'm certain it's been changed before as the original crimped clips where not there, replaced by small jubilee clips.
I'm not sure this pump will cure the issue and I'm now thinking it's an issue with the 'jet pump' (the return system that is houses under the rear seat left hand side).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.