98 528i 5spd - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 12:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ROBMW is on a distinguished road
Question 98 528i 5spd

hello everyone, as i've never owned a bmw before (drove my brother's 97 328is for a couple of weeks - fell inlove with the car), i've had only audis (00 audi a4 1.8tqms, and now 2002 1.8tqms-b6, better looks) i need some advice on my next purchase. i found a 98 528i with 100k miles, 5 spd (main attraction), silver with black interior for $7500 which i plan to purchase because of the obviously good deal and 2.8 engine. as previously stated i've owned audis up until now and i am tired of the maintenance i had to put in them, i love the engines and the awd, but i'm separating from the military soon, going to school full time and need a good reliable car, but of course it has to be german. i drove my brother's 97 328is for two weeks and i simply fell in love with the engine, it feels stronger than the hp figures that bmw claims. anyways, my brother has 160k on the car and hardly spent $1500 since he purchased the vehicle at 90k. i put about $2000 in my other audi (including apr stage 1 to give it the power the bmw has) and i'd rather switch to bmw than spend another 2 to 3 gs on maintenance on my 02 1.8t. i'll probably miss the awd feature, but i wont miss the expensive repairs. ok, i have a couple of questions about the e39 2.8 engine on the 5 series. how reliable is it, what types of repairs should i be expecting at 100k, what kind of mileage does the 5 speed get (normal driving - city/highway- preferably estimates by owners at same mileage), will the insurance cost a lot, and my last and noobest question, does anybody know the 0-60 time for a 5 spd on the 528? sorry for the long post, andy suggestions, replies are greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
anybody else switched from audi to bmw?
and yes, i type like this on all forums
ROBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
cnn
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
cnn is on a distinguished road
Good deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBMW
hello everyone, as i've never owned a bmw before (drove my brother's 97 328is for a couple of weeks - fell inlove with the car), i've had only audis (00 audi a4 1.8tqms, and now 2002 1.8tqms-b6, better looks) i need some advice on my next purchase. i found a 98 528i with 100k miles, 5 spd (main attraction), silver with black interior for $7500 which i plan to purchase because of the obviously good deal and 2.8 engine. as previously stated i've owned audis up until now and i am tired of the maintenance i had to put in them, i love the engines and the awd, but i'm separating from the military soon, going to school full time and need a good reliable car, but of course it has to be german. i drove my brother's 97 328is for two weeks and i simply fell in love with the engine, it feels stronger than the hp figures that bmw claims. anyways, my brother has 160k on the car and hardly spent $1500 since he purchased the vehicle at 90k. i put about $2000 in my other audi (including apr stage 1 to give it the power the bmw has) and i'd rather switch to bmw than spend another 2 to 3 gs on maintenance on my 02 1.8t. i'll probably miss the awd feature, but i wont miss the expensive repairs. ok, i have a couple of questions about the e39 2.8 engine on the 5 series. how reliable is it, what types of repairs should i be expecting at 100k, what kind of mileage does the 5 speed get (normal driving - city/highway- preferably estimates by owners at same mileage), will the insurance cost a lot, and my last and noobest question, does anybody know the 0-60 time for a 5 spd on the 528? sorry for the long post, andy suggestions, replies are greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
anybody else switched from audi to bmw?
and yes, i type like this on all forums
Bought mine for $11.5K this year.

Some points:

1. Make sure no previous flood (Katrina). The price is too low. Too good to be true???

2. No engine damage like overheating, blown head gasket.

3. I did a whole bunch of write-ups and posted procedures you need to know on how to fix/maintain common problems:

- COOLING SYTEM OVERHAUL. Read through this post and the replies:
ENTIRE COOLING SYSTEM REPLACEMENT Tips and Tricks (Very Long, Enjoy!)

- MANUAL TRANS AND REAR DIFF TIPS:
REAR Diff & MANUAL Trans Fluid Change: Tips and Tricks

Or search bimmerboard.com under CNN-090 for the posts.

Good Luck and enjoy the car. BTW Highway mileage is 30-32 mpg. Very fuel-efficient with 5 spd Manual Transmission.

Check to be sure nothing is hidden. Price too good to be true. Have it inspected by a competent BMW mechanic.

cnn
98 528i 5spd 92K
cnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for the reply. you're right, the price is too good to be true, the car is a rebuilt title, but i still think the price is worth it. i'll try to bring it down to 6g's, 7500 is a little too much for a rebuilt title. and of course i'll do a carfax report on it. i'm going to see the car today and take it for a drive and if i decide to buy it i will take it to a german shop to have it inspected. thanks for the tips, i'll ask the mechanic to look for any cooling system leaks, manual trans, rear diff and blown head gasket. anything else i should tell the mechanic to be looking for? and how does it handle in snow?
Old 09-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
cnn
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
What is a "rebuilt title"?

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. you're right, the price is too good to be true, the car is a rebuilt title, but i still think the price is worth it. i'll try to bring it down to 6g's, 7500 is a little too much for a rebuilt title. and of course i'll do a carfax report on it. i'm going to see the car today and take it for a drive and if i decide to buy it i will take it to a german shop to have it inspected. thanks for the tips, i'll ask the mechanic to look for any cooling system leaks, manual trans, rear diff and blown head gasket. anything else i should tell the mechanic to be looking for? and how does it handle in snow?
What is a "rebuilt title"?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
it's the one between a clean and salvage title. it retains the value of a salvage car, but it's not as bad as a salvage car. it means the car was either stripped of some parts or it had minor body damage (nothing that would deal with the frame, major mechanical problems - those are salvage cars). some states allow the sale of such cars by dealers, but not in CA. i'm in utah and i bought a salvage 00 civic si and car worked perfectly. in CA you will only see such sales from private owners. here in utah, there are some dealerships that specialize in rebuilt and salvage cars (if you're in the proximity here's a good one greatrebuilders.com). the value of a salvage/rebuilt car is 50% of the value of a clean title car. now that i know that the car is a rebuilt title i will have the mechanic do a more thorough inspection on the car. i just wanted to see how satisfied people are with their BMW's, i've loved my audis so far, but want something more reliable with a lower monthly payment.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
cnn
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
If possible, I would try to obtain

Quote:
it's the one between a clean and salvage title. it retains the value of a salvage car, but it's not as bad as a salvage car. it means the car was either stripped of some parts or it had minor body damage (nothing that would deal with the frame, major mechanical problems - those are salvage cars). some states allow the sale of such cars by dealers, but not in CA. i'm in utah and i bought a salvage 00 civic si and car worked perfectly. in CA you will only see such sales from private owners. here in utah, there are some dealerships that specialize in rebuilt and salvage cars (if you're in the proximity here's a good one greatrebuilders.com). the value of a salvage/rebuilt car is 50% of the value of a clean title car. now that i know that the car is a rebuilt title i will have the mechanic do a more thorough inspection on the car. i just wanted to see how satisfied people are with their BMW's, i've loved my audis so far, but want something more reliable with a lower monthly payment.
as much info as possible re the reasons why it has "rebuilt" title, i.e., the extent of the damage etc.
Good to know.

cn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)