97 528I rough idling and an answer - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 01:21 AM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
(Thread Starter)
Finally my car (97 528I) gave me all the anwers I needed for my thread dated 8/17/2004. the answer is CHECK ENGINE with the follwing 8 codes/table 11 based on My Peak Reasearch manual and code tables:

C8: Precat O2 sensor no activity cyl 1-3
CA: O2 sensor control limit, cyl 1-3
CB: O2 sensor control limit, cyl 4-6

E3: O2 sensor adaption limit, cyl 1-3
E4: O2 sensor adaption limit, cyl 4-6

EE: Misfire detected, cyl #1
EF: Misfire detected, cyl #2
F0: Misfire detected, cyl #3

Although I have changed all 4 sensors I have to assume the precat ones are defective since they've good connection and can be mixed since they are all one of the same.

The big question becomes: is all this misfiring in cyl #1, #2, and #3 related to the O2 sensors or is it a different beast. The car has brand new dealer spark plugs and no codes of 01, 02, or 03 related to problems in the ignition coils, thanks God.

Any thoughts top gunners out there????????? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 12:20 AM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
I did some research on my own, came up with the following, and wish to post these answers in case someone out there gets a similar problem. Enjoy!

ENGINE APPEARS TO MISFIRE OR STUMBLE INTERMITINTLY
MODELS AFFECTED: 5 Series(E34), 7 series(E32), 8 series(E31) all equipped with ACS.
FAULT: Under certain specific conditions an apparent engine misfire or bucking may occur. This is not
an engine misfire.
CAUSE: Short (less than 100 milliseconds) fuel injection cut-off, as a result of MSR (engine drag torque
control) regulation. This is a normal ASC function that may occur under these conditions:
-The vehicle is equipped with ASC
-Vehicle speed between 45 and 60 MPH
-A rough road surface (e.g. potholes, railroad tracks)
-Light throttle(accelerator pedal only depressed 1/8)
-ASC not switched off.
SOLUTION: Replace the ASC control unit. no further diagnosis of the ABS/ASC system should be necessary.

for more in depth analysis check the following address http://www.bba-reman.com/bmwabsfaults.htm
Bill B
#3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:07 AM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Bill,
sorry to take so long to reply but hopefully i can help here. 1st of all by looking at those faults I wouldnt think of an 02 sensor problem at all but more likely a fuel mixture problem possibly caused by a vacuum leak. The fact that the fault reads "02 adaptation limit " its saying that the fuel mixture is out of range so bad that the 02 sensors cannot compensate. A large vacuum leak could cause the misfire faults as well. I tell you what 1st comes to mind is that the evap hose which runs along the top of the intake manifold may be split. I would recommend removing the top plastic engine cover and inspecting it. There was actually a recall early on for this problem and an updated hose. Any idea if your car had this recall performed? Either way I would still recommend checking this 1st. Then continue normal vacuum leak troubleshooting along the rest of the intake manifold if the hose is not leaking. Unfortunately the OBD2 software that you are using does not specify whether the engine adaptions are too rich or too lean so the suggestions I am giving you will only apply if it is indeed lean (lean misfires are more common.)
Hopefully this helps, if I can help anymore please email me or PM me.
Good Luck,
DT

DT

#4 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Will this claim of lean mexture holds true even if the OBD 11 gives me a fault of C8 = precat O2 sensors, no activity???

Well put and phrased response and for sure will check the hose for leaks and let you know the outcome; many thanks.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 01:23 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Have you checked the oil separator?

2012 Porsche 911 GTS
2008 Ford F150 Foose Edition
2010 VW Touareg

----------------------------------
Gone...2002 Porsche 911 C4S
Gone...2000 BMW 540i
Gone...1995 BMW 540i
#6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 01:40 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Dear CosmosBlack
Sorry I did not; and I cann't quite make the relationship with the oil separator since all the codes above are concentrated on the precats 2 sensors without activity (new ones though) If u wish u can elaborate further. Meanwhile DIRTY TOOLS had an excellent response and a good point worth checking (see his response above. He is saying the O2 sensors are paralyzed as a result of a huge leak . surely Will do the vacuum leak check tomorrow; and for the benefit of all member we will post the outcome.

By the way where is Beelzibub on this? Beelzibub you are missing all the fun troubleshooting this one?

regards
Bill
#7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 01:47 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Dirty Tools a year ago or two I had received a little card in the mail from BMW for a recall. Unfortunately I can not RECALL what that recall was about. Never bothered with it. I know shame on me!!!
#8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Bill,
the oil separator...>>> separates oil and air intake.
If there is a leak or break, which is common, I have replaced it on both my E34 and E39, there will be a vacuum leak. Oil will get into the air intake as well. Sometimes you get a "whistling" sound from the engine.

Symptoms can include:
smoke from exhaust
sputtering, hesitant when accelerating
rough idling

symptoms get worse with time, eventually there will be loss of power and car will be sputtering and very rough running.

If I remember correctly, The error codes stated oil/air mixture too rich or lean. The left and right banks of the V8 were not firing consistently on the diagnostics.

2012 Porsche 911 GTS
2008 Ford F150 Foose Edition
2010 VW Touareg

----------------------------------
Gone...2002 Porsche 911 C4S
Gone...2000 BMW 540i
Gone...1995 BMW 540i
#9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 04:09 AM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
It's been a long time since I got my hands this dirty Bill, so I'd rather listen & learn on this one.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 11:54 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Cosmo
Thanks buddy I'll look into the vacuum leak posted by dirty tools
and the oil separator if I can find!! of course I'll let u know ;much appreciated

For Beelzibub? Yah keep that white suite on while I get dirty with vacuums and oil separators. You know Cosmos comment let me think of BMW's resemblance to human bodies. OIL/Air separator doesn't that sounds like the blood/air bariers in the human lungs? just a crazy thought. see ya all soon.
regards
bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)