95 525i e34 not cooperating with starter - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-30-2006, 08:55 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
d3ity will become famous soon enough d3ity will become famous soon enough
(Thread Starter)
95 525i e34 not cooperating with starter

Alright, heres my situation. Had to replace my fuel pump last week. So, Went ahead and ran the gas tank dry. Was gonna move the car to do the job, when suddenly, it refuses to start.... alright, I guess the fuel pump gave out.

SO... Went and spent the afternoon replacing the fuel pump, and adding some fresh gas to the car. Right.

Fired her up... Starter cranks, engine gives signs of catching, but never does.

Alrighty, so, here comes the checklist, the car is obviously flooded from the repeated starting attempts, I can smell the gas, so...we've got gas, sweet. one thing less to worry about. Air filter is brand new, so... We've got air. Last thing needed in this magical equation is a spark.

So, went and checked my plugs, sure enough, one of the boots (cyl 6) is cracked. Ugh, alright. Call up bavauto and get one sent out to me. It arrived today, sweet....pop it in and fire her up.

Wrong. Replaced the cracked boot. Attempt to start vehicle. Same problem, except...without any sign of the engine trying to catch. Just a starter cranking and not much else. Added more gas, checked the battery, even went so far as to check the power to each ignition coil, each coil is infact getting power. Added even more gas, 95 octane premium rediculously expensive crap, even seasoned it with some fuel injector cleaner/octane boost.

I don't know what else to do. I think i've covered all the bases, my codereader shows absolutley nothing wrong with any of the electronic widgets and whatnot. What the hell could this be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:00 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Update:

From everything I can tell, the car is continually flooded. My dipstick smells like oil and one or two of the plugs seem wet. Not sure what to try at this point. Still all I'm getting is the starter cranking and no "bang" from the engine.

Now the question is, what should I suspect? Should I suspect the fuel injectors, or more specifically, one of them bieng stuck open? An airflow problem? the mass air meter not reading correctly? the crankshaft position sensor?

Last edited by d3ity; 05-31-2006 at 12:06 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:48 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
Replace the spark plugs. Sometimes when they get flooded really bad like that its virtually impossible to clean them off well enough to get it started. Make sure to use factory plugs not platinum junk.

DT

#4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Yeah I hate that platinum crap. I'll see what I can do tomorrow about getting a set of plugs.

Last edited by d3ity; 05-31-2006 at 05:05 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 12:31 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
ordered a set of plugs, should *fingers crossed* be here friday, until then, I am planning on letting the car sit. I'm down to several conclusions all of which are probably misguided. Here are the facts I've determined.

Fact: My oil smells like gas.
Conclusion: Car is flooded. Since the gas was run just about dry, I'm thinking it's possible that one of my fuel injectors could be jammed open.
Response: Changed the oil, Pulled the plugs and confirmed flooding. Added fuel injector cleaner to gas, along with octane boost to help her get going. Attempted to start car, Nothing. Disconnected fuel pump fuse and cranked starter for a few seconds (30+) to push the remaining gas through and get some air into the beast so it would clear out. Changed the oil, which smelled of gas, for some fresh mobil 1.

Fact: Car won't start
Conclusion: Either the car bieng flooded that badly is causing this, or it's something worse. Checked power to ignition coils. It's just about impossible to check for spark on these cars, So to be on the safe side, the plugs have been ordered and should arrive friday. Gonna go through and replace all of them. So I've got gas, obiously my fuel pump is working to provide copious ammounts of gas to the engine. I've got spark (once the plugs are changed to be sure), and I see no reason why I shouldn't have air, The engine throws no codes, (ruling out o2 sensor and Mass Air (if i'm wrong, tell me)), Filter is BRAND new.

Is there anything I could be missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)