94 525i trans ? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 12:39 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
joeo is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
94 525i trans ?

Hi there i am new and not sure if i am doing this right. I just purchased my first bmw it is a 94 525i, my question is that the trans shifts hard going into second sometimes not always. I am not sure how to check the fuilds cause i cant find the stick, and also how often do u change the trans fuild. Please help me if you know the answers Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
First trans fluid change should be done around 80,000 to 100,000 miles the every 35,000 to 40,000 there after.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 AM
n00b

jalilkr is on a distinguished road
no dip stick is there. filling and unfilling is done through two pluged holes in the bottom of gear box. i just changed for my 525. It took 6 liters. but be carefull about the type of oil. the manual suggests dexrone ii. any how you can download the bentlys repair manual form this site. and good luck.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 04:08 AM
n00b

towball56 is on a distinguished road
yep, to change the fluid is a real bummer and you should unscrew the little filter box thing inside the tranny and clean that out too, you have to take off the pan which isn't so difficult and there it is. however, filling it up is a real chore, you have to fill it through the big plug hole until it runs out then start it up and keep filling til it runs out again, a real nightmare job, what i did was get an air fitting,a dip stick tube and dip stick from a 323i(85) and a flexible one from a saab and make a longer one from the two, a piece of rubber tubing (15mil) and drill a hole in the pan at the left front and actually adapt a filler/dipper unit for the tranny, it looks orig because of the beemer handle at the top and actually works, for the first fill get an assistant (wife) to pour the fluid in at the top while you do the level thing underneath with the big hole then mark your stick accordingly, sounds complicated however it's not and belive me it's better than the other way, i'll send some pix over if you like- dave
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Help from over the pond

Dont clean the filter,replace it!!

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 08:50 PM
n00b

Okivice is on a distinguished road
Might not be the tranny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeo View Post
Hi there i am new and not sure if i am doing this right. I just purchased my first bmw it is a 94 525i, my question is that the trans shifts hard going into second sometimes not always. I am not sure how to check the fuilds cause i cant find the stick, and also how often do u change the trans fuild. Please help me if you know the answers Thank you
Hello,

It might not be in the transmission. It could be the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) is failing. Have it checked first since the car will continue to run some what normal even with it failing.

Okivice

Last edited by Okivice; 12-10-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: forgot a word.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 AM
n00b

hi marti5, why not clean the filter?-dave
#8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:21 AM
n00b

Rodrick Msuya is on a distinguished road
I have a 1995 525i and I did a transmission drain and refill with DexII-D, but not sure how liters it takes.
I refilled with 4.5liters and just want to check also if the procedure that I used to fill the transmission is correct or not.
"towball56" I was not clear when you say "you have to fill it through the big plug hole until it runs out then start it up and keep filling til it runs out".
The statement "fill it til runs out". What runs out, I thought we are supposed to be talking about liters or qrt
#9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:49 AM
Help from over the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrick Msuya View Post
I have a 1995 525i and I did a transmission drain and refill with DexII-D, but not sure how liters it takes.
I refilled with 4.5liters and just want to check also if the procedure that I used to fill the transmission is correct or not.
"towball56" I was not clear when you say "you have to fill it through the big plug hole until it runs out then start it up and keep filling til it runs out".
The statement "fill it til runs out". What runs out, I thought we are supposed to be talking about liters or qrt
What is mean't by run out is that once its full it will start to run back out of the hole your filling, as for amount around 7.5L to fill.

#10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 AM
Help from over the pond

Quote:
Originally Posted by towball56 View Post
hi marti5, why not clean the filter?-dave
The filter is virtually a sealed until, it filters all the metal fillings from the oil, so if you put the old one back its already full of crap, as you would have noticed there are 4 magnets in the bottom of the pan which also help the filter to collect the fillings.

I have been to ZF Germany and had mine done, I was present all the way through the service and recieved total explanation from the head manager.

#11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 03:35 PM
n00b

tranny filter

hey marti, yes, i suppose replacing the transmission filter as a service item is a required thing to do, and i would have loved to actually go to germany to witness that happening, however, that's never going to happen for me,
where i'm coming from is this,since a few of us have had a few dramas with these no check no fill no service transmissions,(great idea, i wonder which bright spark thought that one up),well, once you start getting problems with them the whole unit really needs a good clean out and service.
i found that the oil was like a coffee colour and really had a bad odour to it, the filter, which in this case was a plastic unit with a material type fabric in it, was absolutely blocked and the magnets, in this case there were only 2, were pretty well overloaded with junk,
so, my idea was to replace the fluid completely and flush all of that crappy oil out once and for all, and as you know the torque converter has no drain and holds quite a bit of oil, not to mention the cooling system as well, so, i clean out the filter and the magnets, change the oil, run the car around for a few days and then do the whole thing again, and i plan to do that another 2 times to actually purge all of the junk and crap from the whole tranny and then install a new filter and service it regularly, you can go buy about 3 new filters if you like but i feel it will be very a expensive exercise and i don't think there's any other way of actually getting all the rubbish out of the tranny, i haven't passed my little service exercise across any of the bmw desks in germany yet for their approval however i'm a bit dark on them for putting a few of us in this position with their stupid design ideas regarding a no service transmission and then us trying to run around servicing or fixing them when they desperately need it using our own ideas.
i've also had thoughts of installing a cartridge type oil filter on the return line of the cooling unit so that this ridiculous situation with these transmissions doesn't happen again, the existing inboard filter is rather easily cleaned and dried out for re-use and i have intentions of replacing it when the oil starts to look presentable, i've also manufactured a filler tube and working dip stick from an e30 one and a saab unit that i had lying around, makes life a lot easier i tell you, anyway, thanks for your interest on this, let me know what you think-dave
#12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:49 PM
n00b

Rodrick Msuya is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
What is mean't by run out is that once its full it will start to run back out of the hole your filling, as for amount around 7.5L to fill.
I appreciate your reply on this, but there is a thing that I still need to clear about the drain/fill plugs.
On my transmission the drain/fill plugs are on the bottom of the pan, drain plug on the left side of the pan if youre facing towards the font of the car, and the fill plugs is on the right of the pan.
What I did:
When draining, about 4.5L came out, and I dropped the pan and found out that on the pan there was only one magnate unlike what other transmission have that was filled with very fine metal chippings. I cleaned the pan and the magnate, replaced the filter and bolted the pan back.
I used a pump to pump in 3L of DexII-D from the fill plug that is located on the bottom of the pan, and then I started the car and went through the gears slowly and left it on neutral. After starting the car actually the transmission pump started to sack in the ATF from the container that I was using to pump the fluid. Added about 1.5L.
I used a hose that went in tight on the filling hole on avoiding some spillages. When I removed the hose from the fill hole the red ATF started to come out, so I quickly screwed in the plug back.
I know that there were some fluid left in the tranny and Toque converter, but was not sure how many liters there was.
So at the moment I really not sure of how many Liters I have in the transmission and I dont even know how to check the level.
Please advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)