'94 525i Battery Keeps Dying - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rita27 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
'94 525i Battery Keeps Dying

Hi-I have a '94 BMW 525i that keeps dying on me. The car was broken into in October and now if the car is left sitting more than two days, the battery is dead. Before the break-in, I never experienced any problems. The car has been in and out of my mechanics shop since January. He's replaced the battery four times, hooked the car up to every diagnosic machine he has checking for electrical drains, switched out the module that controls the window and power door locks (this is where he thought the draw was coming from) and even installed a "battery buddy" that is supposed to automatically cut off any electrical draw from the battery when the car isn't running. After all this, the car still doesn't start. I'm really frustrated why we can't figure out what's wrong. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 02:02 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Try another mechanic maybe?

#3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 05:40 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Most mechanics are terrified of electrical problems because they are difficult and time-consuming to find. He needs to install his amp meter (he does have one right ) at the battery. Pull the positive cable off, insert his amp meter between the positive cable and the positive terminal of the battery. Put the setting on 10A (thats what most have anyways). If it takes a day or two to drain the battery, you may have set it @ 2A. Anyways, you should see some sort of amperage reading. Watch the meter as you start pulling fuses one at a time, replacing it back if nothing changes. When the amperage goes to 0 (or drops considerably), what ever fuse that is in your right hand is the culprit circuit that has the power draw. Then its just a matter of finding out why. Hope this helps...

da_male_cow...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
electrical problems can be a nightmare as da bull stated! You said the car was broken into, did they break anything? start checking around the point of entery also, see if there is anything even simi-suspicious. Good luck and do as da bull said start pulling fuses!

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Neutral Member

wcleafs is an unknown quantity at this point
Had a fellow I worked with face the somethings like this, some one buggered around with his driver door lock and afterwards his battery kept draining. Turns out it was the lock heater being on all the time. Just a thought

GO LEAFS GO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)