90 525i Abs Lights... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:45 PM
da_administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
(Thread Starter)
I just found this forum, hopefully you guys and gals can help.

This has been going on for a while now. I hit even the slightest of bumps and my ABS light comes on and it will stay on until the key is shut off. I visually inspected the wires at the front wheels when I had new tires put on last month. Nothing "looks" bad. This happened before I put new front strut inserts in (pain in the neck BTW) and now it seems to do it more frequently and a smaller bump will trigger it. It seems to trigger from the front, the light comes on immediately when front tires hit the bump.

Thanks in advance....

Bill

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:10 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Is it possible that you damaged the sensor wires while changing the inserts? Try to take the sensor out of the wheel. Disconnect it then take the (2 screws hold it in place) out. Inspect it, clean it, relace it if damaged. they get damaged by the 90 degrees bend especially if pulled froced/down (by accident) while installling the inserts.

good luck
Billb
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
The problem was there before I installed the inserts, its just happeneing more now. Is there a picture of it anywhere, where I know what I am removing/replacing? I dont mind getting my hands dirty, I just like to know what I am looking at. My specialty is the car audio portion . I will take a look under there this weekend. Thanks...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:15 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull@Jan 27 2005, 04:31 AM
The problem was there before I installed the inserts, its just happeneing more now.* Is there a picture of it anywhere, where I know what I am removing/replacing?* I dont mind getting my hands dirty, I just like to know what I am looking at.* My specialty is the car audio portion* .* I will take a look under there this weekend.* Thanks...
[snapback]280069[/snapback]
Yes I do have one for you. looking behind the wheel you'll see the 2 screws I mentioned earlier plus the ABS sensor wires --what I call 90 degrees bend.
Note also the bigger 2 out of 4 screws holding the front wheel bearing.
[attachmentid=17724]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abs_sensor1.gif
Views:	126
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	16756  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 11:53 PM
da_administrator

(Thread Starter)
Thats great, thanks. That looks vaguely familiar now. I'll let ya know...on a side note, roughly how much are these to just replace?

#6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 06:35 AM
da_administrator

(Thread Starter)
I havent got a chance to look at it yet (still too cold) but I have noticed that most of the time that before the light comes on, the brakes intermittently pulse like I am skidding when I lightly step on the pedal. Once the light comes on, I dont have that problem anymore. The light actually says "anti-lock". I am wondering if this has a different meaning.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull@Feb 11 2005, 07:35 AM
I havent got a chance to look at it yet (still too cold) but I have noticed that most of the time that before the light comes on, the brakes intermittently pulse like I am skidding when I lightly step on the pedal. Once the light comes on, I dont have that problem anymore. The light actually says "anti-lock". I am wondering if this has a different meaning.
[snapback]289803[/snapback]
anti lock brakes... hence the anti-lock and ABS things.

faulty sensors most likely lead to your car figurring out that the wheels are locking up whenever you go over something and then you get the pulsing in the pedal because it kicks it on. the sensors .... i really dont know how much they could cost.

#8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 AM
5th Gear Member

$30 for relay
$80 for speed sensor....give&take
regards
billb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)