89 525 TPS and OBD code 1222 questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okivice is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
89 525 TPS and OBD code 1222 questions

Hello Everyone,

Got a couple of mind boggling issues with my 89 525i.

1. On cold mornings if I start my car and allow it to warm up for approximately 5 mins I have no problems. But if I am running late start it and take off as the car warms up while cruising 45-55 mph it starts to decelerate as though it is shutting off. If I press more on the gas it shifts up but does not accelerate until I pump it/release and reapply several times until it clears up. After that smooth sailing from then on. My questions are Could this be a sign of a failing TPS? And has anyone experienced this before?

2. Next my CEL is on a little while then off for a little while. Performed the stomp test while the car was cold and it would not flash any codes. Drove around for a little while and decided to try the stomp test again since car was at normal tempature then it flashed code 1222. My questions are is it normal for the stomp test to not work when the car is cold? And I replaced the oxygen sensor with new Bosch unit but code still remains. I even disconnected the battery overnight and the CEL still comes on for approximately a minute then goes out for approximately minute and still flashes code 1222 when the stomp test is performed. If anyone has experienced this please advise me of what the possibilities could be or atleast a good starting point to look?

Any and all information rendered will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Okivice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 AM
n00b

golfgod41 is on a distinguished road
sometimes the bosch O2 is not compatible...hate to say it, but you should get the O2 sensor from the dealer. Try to pull off the battery cables and let set for a few minutes and then reconnect...that will reset the O2 for a bit...if it comes back on, you should get your money back from the bosch unit if you can....and yes its your TPS that is failing for your hesitation problem
#3 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 02:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
O2 Sensor and TPS Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod41 View Post
sometimes the bosch O2 is not compatible...hate to say it, but you should get the O2 sensor from the dealer. Try to pull off the battery cables and let set for a few minutes and then reconnect...that will reset the O2 for a bit...if it comes back on, you should get your money back from the bosch unit if you can....and yes its your TPS that is failing for your hesitation problem
Thanks Golfgod41,

I will disconnect the battery and let it sit for a few hours. What's the best way to check the TPS?

Okivice
#4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:37 AM
n00b

not generally a good idea to mess with it...i have never tried to troubleshoot one, just always bought a new one. thats usually the best bet as its just a voltage regulator with electronic variation signals sent to the computer...once they go bad, there bad. hope this helps and hope someone else out there may have some input
#5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Looks like I will be changing the TPS!

Quote:
not generally a good idea to mess with it...i have never tried to troubleshoot one, just always bought a new one. thats usually the best bet as its just a voltage regulator with electronic variation signals sent to the computer...once they go bad, there bad. hope this helps and hope someone else out there may have some input
Thanks again Golfgod41,

It appears that there are a few out there that take a look but do not offer a response. So I guess you are it.

Okivice
#6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 AM
n00b

sure thing not a problem...i have questions about my car as well in some of the threads but rare for a response...so did the check engine light go off and stay off? i usually hate the bosch O2 sensors...if it works, ill use them on mine as i have the same issue, but i have 4 of them gone bad!
#7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 10:03 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Still working on it.

Quote:
sure thing not a problem...i have questions about my car as well in some of the threads but rare for a response...so did the check engine light go off and stay off? i usually hate the bosch O2 sensors...if it works, ill use them on mine as i have the same issue, but i have 4 of them gone bad!
Just disconnected the battery this morning. Plan to reconnect it later today. Considering changing the TPS before I change the O2 sensor again. I have been trying a few things while driving to get a better idea of when the light is triggered and I have come to the conclusion that it comes on after I start driving. Usually after a few miles, then it will go off for a few miles repeatedly. At any time I can disrupt the sequence by flooring the accelerator which causes the CEL to go off around 3 to 4,000 rpms. After that it stays off until I release the accelerator and resume casual driving (around 45-55 mph's). Once I reconnect the battery and drive it I will post the results.

Thanks,
Okivice
#8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 11:02 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
once they get used to you a response will come,stick with it as some of these guys know their stuff.i cant help as i know nothing!but good luck with it.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2008, 02:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Cool!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythepie View Post
once they get used to you a response will come,stick with it as some of these guys know their stuff.i cant help as i know nothing!but good luck with it.
Thanks for the comment. You are absolutely correct. Well got to get back to business still working the issues with my bimmer.

Okivice
#10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The Results are In!

Okay. Reconnected the battery and drove around. CEL came back on Tried the stomp test to get the code and I could not get it to work until the next morning (7 Dec) with car completely cold. Not sure if that means anything but now it is flashing code 1221 instead of the 1222 code. My plan it to replace the TPS first and see if the CEL goes off and then replace the O2 sensor again, if the CEL comes back on, with the BMW OEM instead of a new Bosche unit like the one I just changed a month ago. If anyone has any other recommendations please post em here so that I may get right to the problem instead of chasing codes. Thanks to all that have and will respond.

Okivice

Last edited by Okivice; 12-07-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: changed a sentence.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 11:11 AM
n00b

what is code 1221? sounds like another O2 sensor code...could be more than one O2 sensor? I have 4...maybe the bosch sensor works and you have a pre-cat sensor bad? not sure what the codes are for your car...hope someone else can help you bro as i know how chasing codes is a frustrating ordeal...stick with it and youll feel better once you have solved the problem!
#12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 04:57 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
1222 means it's running rich/lean; 1221 means the ECU is not receiving a signal from the oxygen sensor.

You did the right thing by replacing the sensor, but you need to go and double check and make sure it's actually sending a signal (especially if you used a universal Bosch with the original harness -- they are not meant to be soldered, use the crimp connectors supplied; also the Bosch makes OEM sensors for BMW ... the only difference between a universal Bosch and OEM is the harness/connector).

Second thing: The reason the code disappears when you floor it is that the ECU goes into open-loop under WOT and doesn't care about the reading from the oxygen sensor; same when the car is cold (so if you were to start driving as soon as you started it cold, you probably wouldn't get the CEL until it warmed up).

Also, the way you clear the CEL is not disconnecting the battery: instead you do the stomp test and then when it starts to flash, you depress the gas pedal for 10 seconds.

As far as your TPS, it's fine. If you are able to perform the stomp test, that means it works/sending a signal at WOT (that's actually what sends the signal to the ECU to let you into diagnostic/stomp test mode).

Lastly, it doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold for the stomp test -- you can get into it at any time. The problem is getting the timing just right; you gotta start stomping as soon as you turn the key ... it's taken me as many as 15 times to get through before.

Hope that helps; I know it's a lengthy post...

#13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Still Researching.

Thanks to everyone that has replied. It all helps out alot. Torque the Bosche sensor I purchased had the OEM connector on it, So I will check it. Odds are I bought a defective one? Just my luck....... Seriously thinking about getting one from the Dealer now. Torque your post has also helped me to conclude that the TPS is definately faulty. It takes me several days to get the CEL flashing, if at all. It simply does not work most of the time when I do the stomp test. Decided to disconnect the TPS today and the results were mind boggling. Immediately my car idled smoother and leveled out at 1000 rpms. It even drives like it found some extra horsepower. So I am guessing the ECU defaults when no signal is present. Once I change the TPS and can get the CEL flashing, again, I will try holding the pedal at WOT for 10 sec's to see if CEL comes back and leads me in the same direction or another. I will post the results, may take a few days but I will post'em.

Thanks again,
Okivice
#14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
what is code 1221? sounds like another O2 sensor code...could be more than one O2 sensor? I have 4...maybe the bosch sensor works and you have a pre-cat sensor bad? not sure what the codes are for your car...hope someone else can help you bro as i know how chasing codes is a frustrating ordeal...stick with it and youll feel better once you have solved the problem!
Checked the complete exhaust. Only one O2 sensor, Thank god. Thanks for the info.

Okivice
#15 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 10:41 AM
n00b

good stuff! yes the tps is bad and good stuff torque on the clearing the cel! i never tried that but will on my e36 next time...mine cleared just disconnecting the battery. im glad it worked out for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)