'89 525, check engine light when heat is on - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
delussional77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Girlfriend drives an '89 525 (think it's an i ). Anyway, now that's in the dead of winter at good ol' purdue she constantly has the heater and defroster on all the time. At random points throughout turning the car on and driving the check engine light will come on and go off. When you push the sliders on the heat all the way over it will go away, like wise when the defroster is turned off the same will happen (it will go away), and sometimes when just the heat level is turned from 4 to 1 (or off) it will go off as well. I'm kinda perplexed by this problem. Thank god the M5 does not do this. Any ideas for troubleshooting or straight fixing the problem? The engine has about 120,000 miles on it (not bad for a 15 year old bimmer!!!)
delussional77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mankiks323i is an unknown quantity at this point
take it to an autozone if you have one in your area i think they will check your engine light for free. I am not a mechanic but i dont think the heater and defrost have anything to do with the light coming on. The check engine light is more of a emissions thing oxegen sensors etc. or even a gas cap loose sometimes will cause a fault reading used
Old 02-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
delussional77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mankiks323i@Feb 10 2004, 12:40 PM
take it to an autozone if you have one in your area i think they will check your engine light for free. I am not a mechanic but i dont think the heater and defrost have anything to do with the light coming on. The check engine light is more of a emissions thing oxegen sensors etc. or even a gas cap loose sometimes will cause a fault reading used
i always thought the same thing, but seriously it NEVER will come on unless the heat or defroster is on....now i've never seen it during the summer, and i'm wondering if the AC does the same thing (i'm not prepared to put the AC on full blast in the dead of winter to see if it affects it). The thought had crossed my mind that it could be an electrical problem and for some reason when turning the on the heater or defroster maybe a wire is touching and setting off the check engine bulb.....i will take it to autozone. Still waiting for some more replies though.
delussional77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
as you said, maybe just something getting shorted out, which causes the light to come on...

also check the fuel cap, make sure it is not cracked or anything, and check that there is nothing disconected under the hood

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)