BMW Werkz banner

88' 535i engine swap questions

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ldsbeaker 
#1 ·
Hey, I was curious what the smallest, lightest model, like a 3 series 2-dr, that I can drop my 88' 535i engine into with a standard tranny. Any driveshaft modifications, or engine mount adaptions needed? Also curious what turbo application options I may have to play with, or about different head to block combinations. Any information would be grately appreciated. Thank you. Happy motoring!

#2 ·
Yes, this can be done, in fact, I'm going to be doing it in the near future.
If you go to r3vlimited.com and search around in the swap forum, you should be able to find a wealth of information. Of course, I will be doing a writeup too... You will need custom engine mounts, and you should be able to source a stock driveshaft from another BMW.
There are different head/block combos that can be used in order to maximize the potential for turbos, but that's a bit down the road. I would tend to say that just getting the swap done and driveable is a good start... get used to the POWAH(!), and then look at turbo.

p.s. yes, an E30 ('84-'91 3er) is a good candidate if you want small, light, and relatively free of electronics.

#3 ·
thank you

Thank you for the information, I appreciate the reply. I will check out the forum you recommended. If you don't mind, i would like to stay in contact, since you are planning a similar swap I would be interested to know what to expect. I have some engine work to do before I can start shopping around for a 3 to put it in, so it may be a little while.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.