BMW Werkz banner

'87 528e In Autocross - Suggestions?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Torque 
#1 ·
Im considering either buying a new car, or modding my '87 528e.

Everything in the car is stock, and while it has been maintained fairly well, it has its quirks. Most of the problems are aesthetic/onboard computer ones.

I go to a school with an autocross club and I'm considering modding the car and then racing it. I think I would rather do this then buy a shiny new one to race. There's something just awesome about winning a race with a car that looks like a jalopy. :p

At any rate, I haven't seen any information on this car for racing (for obvious reasons). Just looking for some advice as to what I could do to the car to make the (weak) horsepower better, the handling tighter, etc. I'm thinking about putting a new engine in, and maybe a super/turbo later, but I'd rather look at cheaper options first.

Other thing I was wondering is if there is anything inherently stupid about what I'm trying to do. i.e. "You shouldn't even consider racing this car because of: ..."

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Suspension, make sure its in good shape. Engine issues shouldnt be a problem with some mods (CAI, Exhaust).

If you want to autocross the thing, work on your suspension first. then tires Power later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.