5er Awd? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 01:42 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
(Thread Starter)
So this guy brings in his e39 530i and needs it worked on....and I have to take him back to his house...and the conversation on the way back was about cars....e46 3-series, M3s,M5s,5s,6s,7s.....and then we talk about Acura NSXes....and then near the end of the conversation....he tells me that his next car is going to be a 540xi.....I'm like cool...c ya later.

On my way back, I'm thinking.... there is NO xi for the 5ers.....so I ask a tech...and he says maybe there is one in Europe....

what do you say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 02:07 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
I say YES BMW does make 5ers 4X4 othe rthan X5 I guess as BMW image was dominated by the hot new M5 sports sedan the company also poked into the market with latest all-wheel-drive 525x and 530x sedans plus the 530ix which what your friend/customer is talking about..this one is a sport wagon. Despite their attraction for slippery surface work I doubt they will make...

Remember the X5 itself is based on the 5er; it is a mussled up 5er!! Makes you think they may come up with X7 or X??? after they introduced THE AUSTRIAN X3
#3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 03:28 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
there is an AWD 5er in my parking garage at work. I asked the guy about it and he said that's how he bought it. I've also seen a FWD 5er here in town which is bizzare.. the guy was selling it and I went to look at it to if he was an idiot and it truly was a fwd

#4 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 05:13 PM
5th Gear Member

BeelZibub is an unknown quantity at this point
There is definetly a 5er xi (4x4) but only in the e34 flavour and definetly not in the 540 flavour - these things are more popular in the states/canada than europe. I think it was a 525xi - if I get the chance I will find out more.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:18 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Ok here it is

[attachmentid=18367]

and BMWLotAttendant: Customers are always right
regards
billb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	530xi.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	17316  
#6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

roguesniper1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roguesniper1
there is no such thing as FWD Bmw, some in smoking lot of pot or in dire need of attention. There is no such thing, no such converstion. It is almost impossible. The X series are true Rwd with electronic torque distribution up front.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 11:33 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roguesniper1@Feb 12 2005, 07:40 PM
there is no such thing as FWD Bmw, some in smoking lot of pot or in dire need of attention. There is no such thing, no such converstion. It is almost impossible. The X series are true Rwd with electronic torque distribution up front.
[snapback]290649[/snapback]
While this is true, the X series sedans whether in 3s or 5s were the necessary reply/solution to bad winter traction of other model even when equipped with the ASC system; such a trend reached its peak by the introduction of the true AWDs or SAV. Several years ago the idea of 4X4 was unthinkable at BMW for many reasons:
A. They had acquired Land Rover along with its luxury Range Rover; that move was realized by BMW as the wrong one; they bailed out quickly if you recall.
B. Imagine what happened when they introduced their own X5 and parked it in the same show room next to a freelander or a discovery-a bit short of a sin.
C. BMW was able to reach out for otherwise unreachable customers! and remember the whole concept of FWD (as much as many people dislike it) is NOT a bad idea for a new breed of BMW series....Why not? For real. I think--at least from a marketing point view--BMW will be harnessing unprecedented sales/market shares from the Japanese market. They did it with the X5/X3 why not try it with the FWD market?

Note: we NOT talking performance here...marketing strategy only..that is making real $$
regards
billb
#8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2005, 02:35 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)