BMW Werkz banner

540i - Need Buying Advice

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Der Kommissar 
#1 ·
Hello all. This is my very first post on here, so please excuse any ignorance. I am an avid VW enthusiast who is looking to take my passion for cars to the next level. What I am looking for is any advice that you all could provide that would aid my search for a used 540i. What years are better than others? What options do I want / need? What should I look out for?

As you can see, I have a LOT to learn, but after reading through some of this forum, I see that there is a vast resource of people to teach me. My first car and first love was a limited run 1984 320i that I was given when I was 16... and I feel it's time for me to get back to my roots.

Any advice you all could give me would me most appreciate. Thanks in advance! :thumbs

#2 ·
I'll provide the small amount of knowledge I know.

The 540i began in 1994 (E34). Then in 1995, it came with a six speed manual transmission. There was no 1996 540i, but in the second half of 1996, they released the 1997 BMW 5-series (E39). It came with more bells and whistles, and the 4.0 litre block was now 4.4 litre. I think they put out the same horsepower, but the 4.4 block has more torque.

I prefer the body styling of the E34 to the E39, so I'm in the process of buying a 1995 540i with the six speed manual. Good luck.

#3 ·
Oh, and some other things -- some of the 4.0 blocks in the 94-95 540is were bad blocks. The best way to tell is to start the engine, and see the doors shake violently. It has something to do with sulfur, I believe. I'm sure someone can provide a link to an article about it.

The 95 came stock with H-rated tires. I'm sure that's not a problem now because a car -- hopefully -- that old would have its tires replaced.

And that's all I know.

#4 ·
Originally posted by Johnathan_Hess@Sep 30 2004, 05:47 PM
And that's all I know.
[snapback]202311[/snapback]​
Well, that's a hell of a lot more than I know. Thanks for the reply!

I actually remember reading about that block issue. There was a mass recall because the cylider walls were a cheap metal, which was very suseptable(sp?) to sulfer erosion as a byproduct of combustion not being hot enough. BMW's fix was to "chip" the car to make it run hotter if I believe.

Does anyone know what I SHOULD pay for say, a 99 540i Sport, w/ 6 pd Manual? I see everything from $18K - $25K and mileage ranging from 60K to 100+.

Man these cars are so beautiful.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Der Kommissar+Sep 30 2004, 03:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Der Kommissar @ Sep 30 2004, 03:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Johnathan_Hess@Sep 30 2004, 05:47 PM
And that's all I know.
[snapback]202311[/snapback]​
Well, that's a hell of a lot more than I know. Thanks for the reply!

I actually remember reading about that block issue. There was a mass recall because the cylider walls were a cheap metal, which was very suseptable(sp?) to sulfer erosion as a byproduct of combustion not being hot enough. BMW's fix was to "chip" the car to make it run hotter if I believe.

Does anyone know what I SHOULD pay for say, a 99 540i Sport, w/ 6 pd Manual? I see everything from $18K - $25K and mileage ranging from 60K to 100+.

Man these cars are so beautiful.
[snapback]202325[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

I'm paying 10 for the 95 540i with the six speed, if that's any help.

#6 ·
Der K...

18K to 25K sounds about right for that model year... The 6 six speed costs more than the automatic model... The 2001 models go for 37k plus in Calif...

Becareful on earlier models (under 97)... Do a search on "NIKASIL" on this forum. I believe there is a write up on this subject under "general car FAQ's"... and by the way, it was not cheap metal on the cylinder walls!!!!

LOS

#7 ·
Originally posted by LOS@Oct 1 2004, 10:24 AM
Der K...

18K to 25K sounds about right for that model year... The 6 six speed costs more than the automatic model... The 2001 models go for 37k plus in Calif...

Becareful on earlier models (under 97)... Do a search on "NIKASIL" on this forum. I believe there is a write up on this subject under "general car FAQ's"... and by the way, it was not cheap metal on the cylinder walls!!!!

LOS
[snapback]202746[/snapback]​
Awesome reply. Thanks so far from everyone. This place is already starting to look better than the VWVortex.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.