540i Fuel Filter - Heeellllpppppp! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 07:39 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts
(Thread Starter)
540i Fuel Filter - Heeellllpppppp!

Tried to do the fuel filter today and completly struck out! Dear heaven that was a bitch and I am not even done!!!

First, OMG the manual sucks. Doesn't even show all the fuel lines.

Basically if you have done this you know there are 2 lines on each side of this fuel filter. Closest to the front of the car are easy. One is tiny and other is on with normal clamps.

Furthest from the car ONE of the lines was easy. The other going into the high pressure IN was a BIIITTTCCHHHHHHH!!!!

It has these high pressure hose clamps that can not be removed with a screwdriver or socket. They are pressed on and must be cut off. Problem is - how do you cut them off with fuel vapors everywhere. I basically cut in the middle but you still have to get a new hose on so you have to remove one of these clamps. I kept grabbing it with lineman pliers and tried to squeeze the SOB to deform it enough to come off. I worked at that high pressure line for like 1 hour and every time I lost my grip I cut my hand. Did I mention the gas on my hands into the cuts?

Well I went to AutoZone after calling and confirming they sell gas line by the foot. I got there and an old timer tells me that the clamps are high pressure clamps and they don't sell them. He recommended the dealer and said I would have to buy the special tool to put them on. ARGHHHH. What's worse. I have forgotten with all the gas fumes which line is which. There is one line that goes "straight" and the other has a 30 degree bend in it.

Questions:

1) On the 2 lines that go into the filter farthest from the front of the car - The one with the bend is the "IN" or not?

2) What type of clamps does everyone use? What type of hose?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
n00b

matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts matteni is hated around these parts
(Thread Starter)
I took some pics during the install. The first one shows the closest line going into one of the "outs". The high pressure is hidden.

In the second pic the high pressure is visible with the crazy clamps and it must be coming from the bent line.

Does this make sense?

Is the high pressure line a different type of gas line and can I use any clamp or do I have to get special clamps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW540iE39FuelFilter100_4070.jpg
Views:	2035
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	24996   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW540iE39FuelFilter100_4071.jpg
Views:	3089
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	24997  
#3 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Matteni, did you remove the fuel pump fuse? I didn't read that on your post. This is required in order to relieve pressure.

LOS
#4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 09:53 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOS
Matteni, did you remove the fuel pump fuse? I didn't read that on your post. This is required in order to relieve pressure.

LOS
Yes I did remove it and run the engine till it sputtered and died to remove as much fuel from the system as possible. I was surprised how long it ran without pressure and more surprised how much gas was in the lines and in the filter!

BIG QUESTION: What are people using to crimp the IN / High pressure side? Just the worm connectors that were advised against? Am I the only one with the newer engine/filter to try this?
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 02:57 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
The clamp you cut off is a regular one-time clamp, unless you have a special set of pliers for those you can't install a new one, you just have to use a regular hose clamp. Maybe it's cause I've worked at a BMW shop for more than 3 years now but I don't understand why you are having such a hard time changing the filterused: All you have to do is take out the screws that hold the cover on and fold it out of the way and keep it out of your way with a bungie cord, take off some clamps, remove the filter mount, swap filters, reinstall filter and install new clamps on hoses then put the cover back on. Should only take 20-30 min tops with basic hand tools.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2006, 04:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJNKY
The clamp you cut off is a regular one-time clamp, unless you have a special set of pliers for those you can't install a new one, you just have to use a regular hose clamp.
Thank you - an answer to the question!!

Quote:
Maybe it's cause I've worked at a BMW shop for more than 3 years now but
Uh oh. My condescending remarks meeter is on 11 out of 10. I sense comments made to make another human feel less about himself because someone does something every day of their life. Must get haz-mat suit on! :

Quote:
I don't understand why you are having such a hard time changing the filterused:
Dear God it is going to be bad - brace for it!!!!

Quote:
All you have to do is take out the screws that hold the cover on and fold it out of the way and keep it out of your way with a bungie cord, take off some clamps, remove the filter mount, swap filters, reinstall filter and install new clamps on hoses then put the cover back on. Should only take 20-30 min tops with basic hand tools.
There it is. A full description not unlike the Bentley manual minus the steps that one learns working every day in a BMW dealership for 3 years.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:52 AM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by matteni
Thank you - an answer to the question!!

There it is. A full description not unlike the Bentley manual minus the steps that one learns working every day in a BMW dealership for 3 years.
There are no other extra steps other than the ones you read in the Bently and the ones I outlined. I'm sorry if you took my post as condescending, I was just trying to help you out since thats what you came in here and posting about, "540i Fuel Filter - Heeellllpppppp!" The fuel line that is on the car can be reused unless it has been damaged or is looking dry and cracked. The hose routing I'm not sure of off the top of my head, usually i set the new filter on the floor, or my work cart pointed the same way the old one is then swap them so I don't get the lines crossed.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
um whoah, that was kinda rude, he was just trying to help....if you cant handle sarcasm get off the internet...its full of sarcasm...[/lesson]

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:07 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
um whoah, that was kinda rude, he was just trying to help....if you cant handle sarcasm get off the internet...its full of sarcasm...[/lesson]
Are you being sarcastic?
#10 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:11 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
There are no other extra steps other than the ones you read in the Bently and the ones I outlined. I'm sorry if you took my post as condescending, I was just trying to help you out since thats what you came in here and posting about, "540i Fuel Filter - Heeellllpppppp!" The fuel line that is on the car can be reused unless it has been damaged or is looking dry and cracked. The hose routing I'm not sure of off the top of my head, usually i set the new filter on the floor, or my work cart pointed the same way the old one is then swap them so I don't get the lines crossed.
It is all good. I did get the new line at Autozone (they do sell a high pressure GoodYear line) and some normal 1/4" clamps (probably could have stayed all metric but oh well).

The biggest problem is not knowing how to get the old clamps off (can't really cut them off with fuel/vapers around) and how much force it takes to move the SOBs on off (little WD40 always helps). I put it back together and everything held for over 10 minutes while I tested it. No worries and thanks again for the answer.
#11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 04:45 PM
5th Gear Member

There is nothing to worry about when cutting off the clamps except getting fuel in your eyes. Yeah some may spill on the ground but it isn't more than a few ounces at most. Running the car until it stumbles by taking the fuel pump fuse out isn't a good idea cause you run the risk of running an injector dry, making it hard to restart the car again. A good pair of side cutters will cut right through the one-time clamps, it wears them out fast though cause the metal is tough. This is the advantage to having major brand tools cause when my cutters get dull I can swap them out for free with a new pair when the tool guy comes by.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 PM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotKRAUT
...if you cant handle sarcasm get off the internet...its full of sarcasm...[/lesson]
WHAT? OMG! Surely you're full of shit!

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
#13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatCat
WHAT? OMG! Surely you're full of shit!
lol

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)