BMW Werkz banner

540i Chip

10K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  ///M Power 
#1 ·
Whats up?, I'm looking to purchase a chip for my 98 540i auto. Just wondering if anybody could tell me a good chip to use and where to find it. The only chip i have seen was a conforti chip, which i heard is a pretty good chip. also does anybody know if you add a chip does it void warranty and if so can the chip be taken out easily.? thanks for any input.

#6 ·
Originally posted by silverlea+Dec 16 2004, 10:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silverlea @ Dec 16 2004, 10:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Johnathan_Hess@Dec 16 2004, 07:57 PM
Jim Conforti seems to be the best bet.

They're like 250 dollars. Do a google search.
[snapback]252709[/snapback]​
[snapback]252815[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

#7 ·
Im down in New Zealand....no smog pump or anything like that............just bog standard 540i.
Fitted a Conforti chip 6months ago.
A complete waste of money.
The only difference I noticed was perhaps slightly better throttle response.
To get the full benefit of a chip one needs to do exhaust,camshaft,throttle body etc etc etc..........
Your 540i is a quick car already !

merry Xmas.

Silverlea.

#10 ·
If you read carefully, I mentioned exhaust,camshaft,throttlebody etc.They all work together to gain a much better result.When i say exhaust i mean headers.
I also own an Audi A6 4.2 V8. 2003 model.Again have tried 3 different chips and on there own make very little difference.
All the best with your project anyway.........I hope it goes all well for you.

SILVERLEA.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Johnathan_Hess@Dec 16 2004, 10:46 PM
And it raises your redline and erases the governor.

This is the first complaint about Conforti I've heard.
[snapback]252827[/snapback]​

Im not complaining about the chips.......I'm just telling you what I experienced because you asked !

Yes Im aware the redline is raised,and it sounded great.

Let us know which one you go with.

Chers,
SILVERLEA.

#13 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Dec 17 2004, 02:41 AM
I've got a TMS and i actually did feel a difference (or at least i think i do). Only disadvantage is that i have to use premium gasoline now. I used to use 89 octane but now 91 required. Boo california gas prices.
[snapback]252921[/snapback]​
Ahy friend I really feel for you with those gas prices !
Consider this...........we pay $4 per gallon !!......suck on that one........

91 octane gas here is LOW octane......I run my 540 on 98 octane with a standard chip.

If your car has knock sensors which automatically advance or retard the spark,it will not matter what gas you run.

SILVERLEA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.