The 540/6 is better than my new car which is... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:21 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eric S. is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
The 540/6 is better than my new car which is...

...a 2003 Maxima 6-speed "Limited Edition" with helical limited slip differential!

So, I finally got to check out that Maxima and drove it home today. Compared to the 540 it seems...well, flimsy. I guess something's got to give in something that's similar in overall dimensions as a 540, yet weighs 500 lbs. less and costs about 1/2 the MSRP.

I am sure counting on the "reliability" card because its ergonomics aren't as good and it is much louder in cruising. I darn near got that Acura TL Type S, but I didn't want the mandatory automatic and was scared of that transmission failure issue they all seem to have.

I am pretty sure my Maxima has had some re-paint somewhere, but overall the exterior paint is quite nice (I've clay-barred it and I'm letting a coat of "Zaino" polish "cure" as I type this, so it should look awesome by tomorrow). But the interior is a bit rough, even for 69K miles. The sunroof doesn't quite close all the way, someone smoked a lot in it, and the carpeting is all stained (oh and it came with no mats and only one key and key fob). And the 6-disc in-dash changer-ed Bose premium sound system doesn't work. At least the leather seats are nice (and heated, assuming THAT works). So I'm not real happy, but this is the path I've chosen. Maybe I should have just bought a 4-cyliner 2003-04 Accord and gotten a 5-speed manual on that...

<span style='colorurple'>Eric S.</span>
2006 Honda Odyssey EXL-RES
2006 Honda Accord V6 EX-L Sedan
1999 BMW 540i 6-Speed (Sold to M3UOND on 9/21/06)
1991 Honda Civic Si - Occasional Beater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 02:31 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
Well, it may not be all that bad. I liked my buddy's 02 maxima, it was a blast to drive, sure not as great as 540, but still. Now with his car, he did have several issues, including transmition issues. So hope yours will be different.

Congrats on your purchase, hope you going to enjoy it!
also don't forget to visit the forums.
and change your sig - you already got the maxima

ENJOY!!!

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:09 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks SD. I guess what's ticking me off is that I discovered (upon clar bar-ing the entire car last nite) is that the entire passenger side of the car has been re-painted (decent quality job though), the no-highs-no-low-must-be-Bose radio display and CD changer are both non-functional, and the moonroof has a major-league wind leak. Mechanically I guess the car's OK, by as my son observed this morning while in a parking lot, it "has the turning radius of a Mack truck". Actual driving it isn't half-bad.

I am wishing I hadn't bought it and had just bought a Honda Accord V6 sedan with its mandatory automatic...

Is your friend's maxima a manual or automatic?

#4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2006, 05:49 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
he used to have a 6spd
he sold it and now has 2005 G35 6spd
it's nice but it's alraedy starting to get problems (transmition, rattles, etc) and it has like 20-30k miles!

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 AM
n00b

e39 5ive is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to e39 5ive
I once strayed from BMW, because of maintanence costs. A move I regretted. No other car gives me the enjoyment of a BMW. That's why I choose to stick it out as far as the work, and costs, on my car. I own a 4 cylinder Camry that I use for normal commuting. Great car, not exiting to drive at all. I think you are going to pick this car apart, and come back home. Until then, good luck
#6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 07:59 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e39 5ive
I once strayed from BMW, because of maintanence costs. A move I regretted. No other car gives me the enjoyment of a BMW. That's why I choose to stick it out as far as the work, and costs, on my car. I own a 4 cylinder Camry that I use for normal commuting. Great car, not exiting to drive at all. I think you are going to pick this car apart, and come back home. Until then, good luck
I appreciate the sentiment, but you identified exactly why I let the 540 go. It had to be my reliable daily-driven vehicle, AND I have a wife and children to feed. I HAVE no Camry, or anything else long-term. The 540 was it.

There's no doubt it's better than anything else in that price range, but so's a Ferrari & if you gave me a Ferrari with 130K miles on it I wouldn't be able to keep it either, for such use. Maybe if I worked 60 hours+ per week and my wife also worked outside the home it'd be different, but I am not sacrificing the way I want to raise my children, for a car. I'll drive a Kia Rio, Subaru Justy, Geo Metro (fill in the name of your favorite tin can) before I do that.

Besides, a 540 sitting in my driveway awaiting parts while I drive an old borrowed black Civic without air conditioning half the time I own the 540 is not what I want to experience on a daily basis anyway, even if I COULD afford the fixes. I can't LOVE a car that kicks me in the nuts like that. I want to be able to LOVE my car (which I realize may never happen)....

Last edited by Eric S.; 09-25-2006 at 08:05 AM.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 AM
/Banned

preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S.
...a 2003 Maxima 6-speed "Limited Edition" with helical limited slip differential!

So, I finally got to check out that Maxima and drove it home today. Compared to the 540 it seems...well, flimsy. I guess something's got to give in something that's similar in overall dimensions as a 540, yet weighs 500 lbs. less and costs about 1/2 the MSRP.

I am sure counting on the "reliability" card because its ergonomics aren't as good and it is much louder in cruising. I darn near got that Acura TL Type S, but I didn't want the mandatory automatic and was scared of that transmission failure issue they all seem to have.

I am pretty sure my Maxima has had some re-paint somewhere, but overall the exterior paint is quite nice (I've clay-barred it and I'm letting a coat of "Zaino" polish "cure" as I type this, so it should look awesome by tomorrow). But the interior is a bit rough, even for 69K miles. The sunroof doesn't quite close all the way, someone smoked a lot in it, and the carpeting is all stained (oh and it came with no mats and only one key and key fob). And the 6-disc in-dash changer-ed Bose premium sound system doesn't work. At least the leather seats are nice (and heated, assuming THAT works). So I'm not real happy, but this is the path I've chosen. Maybe I should have just bought a 4-cyliner 2003-04 Accord and gotten a 5-speed manual on that...

still cant believe u sold ur e39 and got a maxima which doesnt come close to ur e39's performance and man u had a 540 with 6 speed, i am just telling u what i think, just look at the class and do u even like the maximas interior after using the bimmer for along time, no wood grain nothing.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:32 AM
68th gear and shifting

Quote:
but I am not sacrificing the way I want to raise my children, for a car. I'll drive a Kia Rio, Subaru Justy, Geo Metro (fill in the name of your favorite tin can) before I do that.

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 10:03 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Congrats on finding something new.

I've now driven the 540 well over 1000 miles. This thing is incredible!

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2006, 09:54 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
Congrats on finding something new.

I've now driven the 540 well over 1000 miles. This thing is incredible!
Go on - keep rubbing it in!!

Actually, I like hearing how much you are enjoying that car; I guess I feel I can still vicariously enjoy it though your notes. If "Murphy's Law" is in full effect, you will likely drive it 2 or 3 or more completely trouble-free years. I was just tired of the alcoholic spouse syndrome of, "OK, after I fix THIS, nothing else will break for awhile".....

The more I drive this Maxima, the more I enjoy it. It is definitely quick (255HP in a 3200-lb car + 6-speed), albeit a bit unrefined getting there. I am REALLY (relatively) enjoying the Limited Slip Diff. It makes powerful front wheel drive SO much better - it ought to be required on ALL V6 and V8 FWD cars. (AND it should have been std on all 540's too, at least the 6-speeds)

#11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 08:11 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
The kill list so far is an S320, a C5 Corvette, a Magnum R/T, a Charger R/T, a C230, an FI VW Jetta, and an FI Golf. All on the highway from 65 in 3rd gear.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:41 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
M3U.... You don't waste any time, do you? ha ha Watch for the cops!
#13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 09:58 AM
68th gear and shifting

Quote:
Go on - keep rubbing it in!!

Actually, I like hearing how much you are enjoying that car; I guess I feel I can still vicariously enjoy it though your notes. If "Murphy's Law" is in full effect, you will likely drive it 2 or 3 or more completely trouble-free years. I was just tired of the alcoholic spouse syndrome of, "OK, after I fix THIS, nothing else will break for awhile".....

The more I drive this Maxima, the more I enjoy it. It is definitely quick (255HP in a 3200-lb car + 6-speed), albeit a bit unrefined getting there. I am REALLY (relatively) enjoying the Limited Slip Diff. It makes powerful front wheel drive SO much better - it ought to be required on ALL V6 and V8 FWD cars. (AND it should have been std on all 540's too, at least the 6-speeds)
there's a fwd v8????

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 10:22 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeadman
there's a fwd v8????
Yep, GM is pushing their new Impala SS and a Pontiac equivalent that sport a 305HP (or thereabouts) small-block V8. As always, they only got part of the equation right, so the rest of the car is so ho-hum that no one wants them.

I believe there were numerous Cadillac Northstar FWD V8's running around through the years too, as if they matter at all...

#15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3UOND
The kill list so far is an S320, a C5 Corvette, a Magnum R/T, a Charger R/T, a C230, an FI VW Jetta, and an FI Golf. All on the highway from 65 in 3rd gear.
...and how many of those 'victims' had over 131K miles on the odometer?

Can't you just IMAGINE a S/C on that thing?!?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)