530xi Wagon speaker question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
530xi is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
530xi Wagon speaker question

Hey guys I want to upgrade my speakers. What sizes and where are they located?

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
What kind of system do you have stock? Is it standard or is it the premium? Do you plan on adding outboard amplifiers? Or do you just simply want to drop in speakers? Are you adding sub woofers?

I ask these questions because it's almost impossible to answer your original question without additional detailed information.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
What kind of system do you have stock? Is it standard or is it the premium? Do you plan on adding outboard amplifiers? Or do you just simply want to drop in speakers? Are you adding sub woofers?

I ask these questions because it's almost impossible to answer your original question without additional detailed information.
Yeah I was kind of vague..

it's the premium 7S stereo.. i think it's called.

It has nav, CD changer and SAT... I want o hange out theamps, I have some JL Audio equipment I want to install and I am going to have a customer box fabricated

Hope this is more help..
#4 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Good, now we can get down to specifics.

First thing, if you don't have a JL Audio Clean Sweep OEM integration unit, you will definitely want to pick one up ASAP (more specifically the CL441dsp) as the factory iDrive system and factory amplifier have preamp levels that will make it next to impossible to properly tune outboard amplifiers correctly.

Speaker locations on the wagon are in several areas. In the front you have a 6.5" mid driver in the kick panel by the feet followed by a 3" mid bass in the door along with a 1" tweeter. There are very few aftermarket component systems offering a 3 way system.

In the rear you have two speakers in the headliner above the passenger seats and slightly behind. I believe those are 5 1/4" mid drivers and the tweeters should be located in the rear doors.

I also believe there are two 6" sub woofers in the front under the passenger seats, those will need to be disconnected/removed as they will no longer be necessary if you plan to add component subs in the rear.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerE39 View Post
Good, now we can get down to specifics.

First thing, if you don't have a JL Audio Clean Sweep OEM integration unit, you will definitely want to pick one up ASAP (more specifically the CL441dsp) as the factory iDrive system and factory amplifier have preamp levels that will make it next to impossible to properly tune outboard amplifiers correctly.

Speaker locations on the wagon are in several areas. In the front you have a 6.5" mid driver in the kick panel by the feet followed by a 3" mid bass in the door along with a 1" tweeter. There are very few aftermarket component systems offering a 3 way system.

In the rear you have two speakers in the headliner above the passenger seats and slightly behind. I believe those are 5 1/4" mid drivers and the tweeters should be located in the rear doors.

I also believe there are two 6" sub woofers in the front under the passenger seats, those will need to be disconnected/removed as they will no longer be necessary if you plan to add component subs in the rear.

Thank you man.. That is really helpful..

OK I was looking into the clean sweep integration.. I wasn't sure if it was really needed but many people have pointed me towards it...

Well I guess speakers now will follow and most importantly the custom enclosure...
#6 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Believe me when I say the Clean Sweep makes a huge difference. Like I said, it will be impossible to properly tune the amps because the stock pre-amp signals from the iDrive system are way out of whack. However, Clean Sweep adjusts the levels to the correct level allowing you to tune the amps and the rest of the system precisely. Since most cars are coming with integrated systems like the iDrive, more and more products like the Clean Sweep are becoming common with installations. I heard a system at a local audio shop in a 2008 M5 and it was backed off of the Clean Sweep unit. Quite frankly it sounded absolutely phenomenal.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I have an appointment in a week to have the shop draw and design something out.. Especially regarding the enclosure I am looking to do...

I do not want a box in the back, so a custom one will be the way to go...

Mids and highs are being tossed around.. Boston Pros vs. JL Audio.... Not sure
#8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
Both Boston Acoustics and JL Audio make good systems, so you can't go wrong either way...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)