530i Climate Control Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 04:04 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tonyd414 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
530i Climate Control Question

Whenever I start my 2001 530i the climate control turns on automatically remembering the last setting it was on. I pretty much just turn it off (unless in the winter). Is there any way this can default to off - I asked the BMW Service Manager and he told me this was standard on my car. I think he just gave me a BS answer. Anyone ever come across this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd414
Whenever I start my 2001 530i the climate control turns on automatically remembering the last setting it was on. I pretty much just turn it off (unless in the winter). Is there any way this can default to off - I asked the BMW Service Manager and he told me this was standard on my car. I think he just gave me a BS answer. Anyone ever come across this?

My E39 did the same thing. No idea how to change it.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
You say it remembers last setting ... shouldn't it remember it's off position too then?

edit: Actually my mom's Audi doesn't either ... must be some weird thing all cars with the auto-climate control do. <3 the manual controls.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 06:38 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
its supposed to be kind of a luxury thing... like when you enter the car it is already cooling it off after a hot summer days been heating it... but yeah i dont know of anyways to fix it so it doesnt do that... sorry..
#5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
any car with standard manual temp and fan controls will do the same thing if you just turn the car off. You turn it back on and it will be on the same setting you left it at..

Only way to have it off would be to turn it off before you shut the car off.

Jason / 1997 528i
#6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2006, 09:45 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
well basically, for all e39s (at least that's what i think) the heat and a/c works like this:
you turn your car on, and so does the heat/ a.c. in the last setting (temperature) at the lowest strentgh (1bar)

if i'm not mistaken, there was a thread about the same issue several months ago and i think the solution in fact was to go to dealership. They should be able to reprogram it and make it so You have to turn it on, it won't turn on automatically.

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
#7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2006, 02:29 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Try this:

Make all the settings to your liking.
Then save them to one of the memory buttons.
Switch off engine.
The next time you start, it should be all set to its memory setting.
Sometimes you need to do it a couple of times to over ride the last setting.

OR...it could be the memory programmed in your key.
Your key/keys can be programmed individually to your settings.
When you deactivate the alarm to open the doors, the memory settings will be reset to whichever key you're using. This way, for example, you and your wife can use separate keys with different settings.
I think the dealer needs to do this programming though,
and I don't know if it's a feature available on all E39s, I know it's on mine coz' I had to ask the dealership to delete the program of the previous owner on my keys! It was getting annoying everytime I deactivate the car's alarm to get in!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)