528i Weird noise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maverick831 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
528i Weird noise

Hi guys im new here i have a 2000 528i modeI and im getting a noise when my car gets warmed up and im driving it starts to make a whoooom noise i was thinking the power steer pump because when i turn Ieft or right the noise goes away and OnIy comes back when im driving straight but thinking i usuaIIy sIow down .When i go uphiII ony when car is warm Yu can reaIIy hear the sound WHooooM at idIe the car runs steady but sounds ike i may have a air Ieak i read the forms of a cvv but unsure. sometimes if i hit a good bump it sound as if something is Ioose making the noise Its Iike putting a muffIer on them taking it off can anyone heIp. I know i have to maintain and by parts yeary but i need this fixed first you can hear the noise as i get out the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
You seem to have several dash lights on. Was the car running or just the ignition on?

If you suspect its a power steering pump issue check for leaks. The pumps rarely fail unless they have no fluid in them. The power steering hoses are the weak link as they commonly leak. Replacing the hoses and reservoir when a leak is noticed is the best option. A power steering pump is around $350, the hoses and reservoir are a lot cheaper

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:12 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Running

Yes the car was running i was driving it around tiII the noise started again i have the check engine Iights because i sent my abs moduIe in for repair this week but i have the Ieast cIue to the actuaI noise its not constant. but my Iower ps hoses are Ieaking a Iittie a thought i saw a permanent fix mod somewhere but not sure
#4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
So if there leaking check and see from where. And check to see how much fluid is curt fly in the reservoir. If low, top it up right away. Then check to see if The sound remains.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Captain... Savvy ?

Jack Dabsy will become famous soon enough
Garage
You could try adding a screw-clamp (Jubilee) to the crimped connectors to help reseal the pipes ! I would personally have them replaced...

Eso es todo!
Please press the "REP" button if you are happy with your response/answer...

Please JOIN, or just have a look... Its Totally FREE...
BMW Part Market

BMW Online Manuals (TIS)

New Member ?
#6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Neutral Member

westin is on a distinguished road
Its kinda hard to make out the, bit when you revved it i could almost hear what sounde like a bad pulluey,but it could have just been the recording grad a long screwdriver,and check the pulleys of hearing for noise ,be careful noise telescopes so put as close to pulley or component you want to hear apart from this hard to diag without being there.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
You seem to have several dash lights on. Was the car running or just the ignition on?

If you suspect its a power steering pump issue check for leaks. T he pumps rarely fail unless they have no fluid in them. The power steering hoses are the weak link as they commonly leak. Replacing the hoses and reservoir when a leak is noticed is the best option. A power steering pump is around $350, the hoses and reservoir are a lot cheaper
i did a gd check this time its Ieaking from the high side hose about 1 oz every 2 weeks it was a oz Iow but the noise is from the pick im posting
#8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dabsy View Post
You could try adding a screw-clamp (Jubilee) to the crimped connectors to help reseal the pipes ! I would personally have them replaced...
Thanks for the manuaI i was tempted to buy one but yu saved me the trubIe
#9 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 02:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by westin View Post
Its kinda hard to make out the, bit when you revved it i could almost hear what sounde like a bad pulluey,but it could have just been the recording grad a long screwdriver,and check the pulleys of hearing for noise ,be careful noise telescopes so put as close to pulley or component you want to hear apart from this hard to diag without being there.
i started there on the puIIies but the noise was hearabIe today it sound Iike a pretty good air Ieak but from where it appears to have a Iittie oiI n the front side of the engine I fIushed the ps fiuid which is red but this is brown coIored if im Iosing oiI the dip stick isnt reaiiy showing it i dont have the super charger but the noise is in the marked area. and if its the cvv can i get away with just buying the unit by itseIf and not the hoses
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnailCAVI9NB0.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	30015  
#10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
#11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
n00b

ARAL1974 is on a distinguished road
2000 BMW 528i Squeiling Noise at start

I have a problem but slightly different. I have a 2000 BMW 528i and have been experiencing a squeiling noise at idle speeds after cold start. Any ideas what could be causing this?
#12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:46 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARAL1974 View Post
I have a problem but slightly different. I have a 2000 BMW 528i and have been experiencing a squeiling noise at idle speeds after cold start. Any ideas what could be causing this?
If you could post a video that would help a whole lot these bimmers make a lot of similiar noises when parts are going bad and its very difficult to diagnois. Post a video and more of the experienced guys on here could help you out better but the noise could be a pulley going bad but I tell you if you havent replaced then replace them they really dont last long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)