BMW Werkz banner

528I gear problem, Please help me guys, plz plz

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ozarkmark 
#1 ·
Hello everyone.

I just bought a BMW 1998 e39 (528i Touring) Automatic/steptronic transmission. The car was bought from an auction and most of the engine wires (Plug/Inserts) were taken off, I assembled all the wires and everything was fitted by me.........The Car gave me the ABS/ASC light and the gear light. In order to get the MOT(Vehicle Worthy on road certification) i had the gear light Reset (But the ABS/ASC light is still on) and i got the MOT done. Now after 4 days im getting this problem. On P the panel shows me S2 light, when i change my gear to R it doesnt show me the light and i can reverse, on N i stand still but no light and on D, the light doesnt come up and i cant go past the first gear. The car goes to 40Mph and the RPM goes to hell.

When i change the gear to S it shows S2 and i can only use Manual gears effectively but then the 1-2-3-4-5 gear light doesnt show on the panel. Sometimes everything works fine and 99% of the time its just that i can drive on the manual gear select. The Automatic transmission doesnt work on D, i mean it wont go past first gear.

Can someone please tell me what is the problem. what needs to be changed, replaced or what is the likely problem. I dont want to go to BMW as i know they will kill me with a huge bill and as for i have no cash left, worst scenario im a student and im just paying of my student loan too. Please help me out ppl. Please tell me the best solution.. Plz Plz Plz Plz......thanks in advanced

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmm. Based on the info I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but it sounds like your tranny is in limp mode - meaning the tranny needs looking at by a qualified mechanic. This is similar to what happened to me a year ago when the tranny went bad. I didn't mess around with it and took it to my dealer who replaced the tranny with a rebuilt one. This is not an uncommon issue with the GM tranny in this model year for the 528i. Mine went bad at 90,000 miles.

Yes - it was major $$$. I hope your problem IS NOT like mine was. Good luck.

#4 ·
Thanks everyone. Thanks Sporky for the help, someone else too told me about the gear selector. Is there a possibility that you can send me a picture of the gear selector switch. I have the right hand version of BMW and i cant locate the switch, a gentlemen earlier told me that it should be on the left hand side but there is not switches on the left hand side, most of the electrical stuff is located on the right. A picture can certainly help identify it.

Thanks once again
Best Regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.