BMW Werkz banner

528e possible purchase

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Silver4evr 
#1 ·
Considering purchasing a high mileage (200k) '87 528e for a daily commuter. The body is straight, the interior is clean, undercoated, manual shift, engine clean, no apparent leaks. Present Owner is getting divorced. I can get it for about $800.

The last BMW I had was a '67 1600 back in the late 70's.

Can any 528e owners out there let me know it's merits and curses. Also, as I am new to this board, where is the best place for me to start the learning curve on this baby.

I have been in Volvo land for several years now. I have 2 240's and get great support from The Brickboard I hope this place is as useful.

thanks in advance for any insight.

Miguel
leugimetragu@netscape.net

#2 ·
Make sure it has been well maintained and have a good mechanic check it.
the weak links for the E28 chassis are the front control arms. Also make sure that the car does not overheat and there are no oil leaks. The a/c system is another weak spot on these cars.

#4 ·
Are the maintenance receipts available?

What's been replaced/repaired and when?

What needs to be replaced/repaired and how soon?

What's remaining on the maintenance items? Tire tread depth, brake pads thickness.

When was the last oil change done? etc.

Does steering wheel shake when driving 40mph and up? When was last wheel alignment. What happens when you let go of the steering wheel.? Is tread on front tires evenly worn?

Run a carfax for accidents.

$800 seems pretty reasonable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.