528 m Sport lack of power after starting when hot - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) Chat relating to the BMW 5-Series of all generations. Specific models include: BMW 518, BMW 520, BMW 520i, BMW 530i, BMW 528i, BMW 530i, BMW 518i, BMW 524d, BMW 525i, BMW 525e, BMW 528e, BMW 540i, BMW 535i, BMW 520d, BMW 525td, BMW 525d, BMW 530d, BMW 525i/xi, BMW 530i/xi. (BMW 5-Series Forum)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:18 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lutchenko is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
528 m Sport lack of power after starting when hot

I have a year 2000 528 Factory mSport.
When I start the car from totally cold it drives just fine, but if I then switch it off and start it again, even an hour or so later, whilst it's still warm it needs a bit of cranking to start and when I pull away it seems to have very low power.

However I have a feeling that it simply isn't selecting 1st, even if I depress the throttle pedal to engage the microswitch or try to select first manually it still won't select 1st.

Once it picks up speed it seems ok with the exception of running a little lumpy.

Anyone got any ideas?

Many Thanks
Will...
Lutchenko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:28 PM
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Posts: 3,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
marti5 is on a distinguished road
So I presume you have an automatic ? no lights on the dash...as not mentioned?

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lutchenko is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
So I presume you have an automatic ? no lights on the dash...as not mentioned?
Yes it's an Auto and I have no lights showing on the dash
Lutchenko is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Posts: 3,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
marti5 is on a distinguished road
Ok, get it up to normal temp, unplug the MAF and see what happens...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lutchenko is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
Ok, get it up to normal temp, unplug the MAF and see what happens...
Silly question but whereabout do I find the MAF sensor and what do I disconect?
Lutchenko is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Help from over the pond
 
marti5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: IPSWICH. U.K.
Posts: 3,242
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
marti5 is on a distinguished road
The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor situated twix the air intake box and the throttle body, unplug the connector to this. 3 variations here:

Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) - Automotive illustrated glossary

Ps. where are you in the UK as I Have diagnostics...

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
marti5 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 04:16 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lutchenko is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
The MAF is the Mass Air Flow sensor situated twix the air intake box and the throttle body, unplug the connector to this. 3 variations here:

Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) - Automotive illustrated glossary

Ps. where are you in the UK as I Have diagnostics...
Ok thanks for that, I disconnected it but it had no affect.
I'm in Milton Keynes by the way
Lutchenko is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 07:57 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poolman is on a distinguished road
Your problem is the seals that BMW used to control the varable cam timing in the
Vanos system--Change out the old seals with the new Besian System seals and you
will have a car that will perform like it was new again--check their website--there is a complete DIY there thats so simple even I did it --with out even a hitch.
With the seals being ineffective--the timing of the engine is not up to snuff--change those seals and it's all back as it should be--you'll love what it does for the car.
Poolman is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 03:44 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lutchenko is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
Your problem is the seals that BMW used to control the varable cam timing in the
Vanos system--Change out the old seals with the new Besian System seals and you
will have a car that will perform like it was new again--check their website--there is a complete DIY there thats so simple even I did it --with out even a hitch.
With the seals being ineffective--the timing of the engine is not up to snuff--change those seals and it's all back as it should be--you'll love what it does for the car.
Many thanks for the post.
I went to their website and it certainly does seem to reflect the symptoms I'm seeing.
The only part that seems different is that my car performs fine if started from cold, even after it warms up it's still fine, does this make sense to you?

Cheers
Will...
Lutchenko is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:59 AM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Poolman is on a distinguished road
Yes --it still makes sence--the seals control the varable timing in both the intake and exhaust cam--if the timing is off the engine doesn't run as well as it should. The OEM BMW seals have been shown to wear out in as little as 9000 miles. You could still have the engine start and seem OK and you will think all is well, but after installing the new Besian seals--you will be able to tell the difference as soon as you pull out on the road.
Now there is some break in period--but the performance will keep coming as soon as the car is cranked. I would also point out that you should look around for vacuum leaks that can be a cause of lack of power. The ccv valve ant the 4 hose's that hook to it should be changed out every 80k miles--check around the intake boot where the throttle body and the idle control valve hook toghether--I would also suggest that if you haven't already --remove both parts and clean them well--would give you a good chance then to check around for vacuum leaks--another spot is behind the intake manifold on the passengers side of the car for you(almost forgot --you gents drive on the wrong side)
back behind the intake --there are a number of vac hose's that should be replaced and updated--lots of heat back there and that heat can cause the hose's to decay.
You will need to remove the cabin air filter and housing on that side and use a flashlight and a small mirror to search around back there and see of what I'm writing about.
Hope that helps
Poolman is offline  
#11 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:04 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lutchenko is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
Yes --it still makes sence--the seals control the varable timing in both the intake and exhaust cam--if the timing is off the engine doesn't run as well as it should. The OEM BMW seals have been shown to wear out in as little as 9000 miles. You could still have the engine start and seem OK and you will think all is well, but after installing the new Besian seals--you will be able to tell the difference as soon as you pull out on the road.
Now there is some break in period--but the performance will keep coming as soon as the car is cranked. I would also point out that you should look around for vacuum leaks that can be a cause of lack of power. The ccv valve ant the 4 hose's that hook to it should be changed out every 80k miles--check around the intake boot where the throttle body and the idle control valve hook toghether--I would also suggest that if you haven't already --remove both parts and clean them well--would give you a good chance then to check around for vacuum leaks--another spot is behind the intake manifold on the passengers side of the car for you(almost forgot --you gents drive on the wrong side)
back behind the intake --there are a number of vac hose's that should be replaced and updated--lots of heat back there and that heat can cause the hose's to decay.
You will need to remove the cabin air filter and housing on that side and use a flashlight and a small mirror to search around back there and see of what I'm writing about.
Hope that helps

Hey thanks so much for taking the time to help with this.
I checked out the installation instructions for the seals and I think it may be worth getting the seals direct and have my local shop install.

I'll take your advice and check for air leaks as well.

Many Thanks
Will....
Lutchenko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
330D Not starting when hot??? bmwjoburg 3-Series (E46, E90) 7 11-30-2009 07:12 AM
lack of power when turning oldschool93 3-Series (E36) 7 03-29-2009 02:34 PM
lack of power badm786 3-Series (E36) 4 12-18-2008 05:56 PM
New Owner Of 99 528 Sport! Garik 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 1 09-28-2004 09:37 PM
big lack in power 730i bu3oof 1,6,7,8 - Series and Mini Cooper 7 01-14-2004 04:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome